DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Musician's Marketplace

I use it with a Fender Princeton and a Sidekick, it isn't really noisy but gets a weird buzz when I crank up the tone to full. The effects are strong and full sounds, and only got better when I tried it with a gibson les paul and an Ibanez strat. The effects only start to die with the battery, but I"ve had it for 2 years and with my constant playing I"ve only needed to replace it 3 times.

For the rock and blues genre I play it is an excellent match. I can also tweak it around to get some grungy sounds which is great for some songs. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and if it were stolen, I'd probably hesitate to buying it again, but it is a great pedal for the beginner or experienced player. The pedal lacks Overdrive and the harsh metal sound, but makes up for it with the different varieties it offers.

I depend on this pedal for many gigs because it's never failed me once, I'd use at a gig without a back up because it's also the only pedal I have. I haven't encountered one problem with it so far and it's fulfilled all my need.

The DS1 Distortion manual was really informative and gave different settings that could be used such as british rock, metal, hard rock, etc. It has one tone, distance and level knob. Simple to use and gives what you paid for.