DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Melodee Music

I use the DS-1 with, either my Yamaha EG-112, or my Epiphone LP Special II. I play it through my 10 Watt amp that came with my Yam. I don't know if it's too much for my little amp, or if it's the pedal, but when I have the distortion maxed, there is a slight hum, but it is very subtle. The effects are awesome. It can go anywhere from warm fuzz to screaming distortion. It is hard to get Overdrive from it, the lowest dist. setting is still a little too harsh for some of the softer songs that I do. It's hard to say that I get the same sound as someone because there is so much diversity with this pedal, but it gets extremely close to any dist. sound that I try to emulate. I listen to Metallica, Nirvana, Zepplin etc... With your p/up selector on the "neck" seeting, and the tone to the max to the right and the dist. on half to full, you get a very nice crunchy sound, and with your p/up selector on the "bridge" setting and the tone just before halfway and the dist. on max you get a very nice warm hard rock distortion sound.

I play progressive hard rock and some soft rock. The DS-1 is a perfect match for my style of playing. I have already converted three of my friends to the DS-1 collective and all of them are wonderfully pleased with their DS-1's. If it were stolen, there is no doubt in my mind that I would replace it. I do wish it had an Overdrive setting, but it's a Distortion pedal not an Overdrive pedal, so I'm still extremely happy with it. BUY THIS PEDAL!!!

This is an extremely durable and reliable pedal. It's made of thick metal and has been dropped down three staircases and still works wonderfully. I would definately use it without a backup in a gig. The power-supply comes seperately but I found a nice little thing: If you have one of those Texas Instruments "TI 83" graphing calculators, the power-supply that comes with that is compatable w/ the DS-1.

This is, by far, the easiest pedal I have ever used. The simplicity really contibutes to it's ease of use. With just three knobs (Tone, Level& Distortion) it makes it extremely user-friendly. The manual it comes with is very extensive and even includes settings for popular distortion sounds.