DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Jim's Music

I use a Peavey 25 watt amp and a Fender Jag-Stang. I originally bought the pedal because my amp is a tube amp, and didn't have very good distortion unless it was really loud. It doesn't really have any flaws, except for it sounds very tinny no matter the setting if you play it over the clean channel of most amps. I usually have to switch to the lead channel and turn the amp distortion down to get good sound. I can almost duplicate the tone of Kurt Cobain if I use this pedal with my guitar and my friend's Marshall 15FX. I like too turn what little gain I have on my amp on, and then the pedal over it, because it kind of sounds like Slash. Overall, it has very good sound.

I play Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Guns N' Roses, Jimi Hendrix, and a lot of other things, and it is perfect for this. I have been playing for about three and a half years, and am pretty young, so I haven't gotten as much experience as I'd like, but it's okay. I'm pretty much the only one of my friends that has a pedal like this, so I can't compare it to their gear, and this is the first pedal I've ever owned, but I would say that it is an okay pedal. Ideally I would like a MXR doubleshot distortion pedal, but this will do for now. If this were stolen or lost, I would buy the MXR that I want, but I don't think I will be that fortunate, haha.

Well, I'm too poor to gig with a backup, so I have to, but I have before, and it has not failed me yet. The only thing that I would bring to a gig to go with the pedal is a spare 9 volt, because it eats them up in about two or three days, if you play with it a lot.

This is pretty much the most idiot proof pedal out there. It has three controls; gain, tone, and level. I find that if you turn the gain and level up, it is best for any kind of metal, and some rock. About three fourths of the way down is a very Robbie Kreiger of the Doors sound. The manual is not really necessary to read, because it is so easy. However, it gives you some tips on how to get certain tones.