DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Soundcontrol- Birmingham

I use it with a Crate GT15R and it does have pretty good sound quality. However, when gain is switched on the pedal and the amp seem to counteract each other, loosing all distortion, so it can be a pain in the ass to change all settings on the amp just to get it too work. But wen used with a amp with no gain (I tend to use a Park amp) it seems to act very well and does have an Atreyu sound to it. Overall, not bad, not great.

I find it very good pedal for metal and rock but not much else as it has a very heavy sound to it. It is perfect for me as I tend to play Atreyu and other music around that genre. If I was to loose this/have it stolen then I would probably try other pedals but this is only because I haven't been playing very long and would like to see how others sound. I probably choose this one because a friend had let me play with his and it does have a particulary good price.

I find it very dependable and have used it everyday since I bought it which was around 3 months ago. I think it would be best to take spare 9v batteries with you everywhere, as I find sound quality really begins to suffer as the batteries begin to die.

If anyone was to get confused whilst using this then there must be something wrong with you, this is an extremely simple pedal and to make things easier it gives you a list of example settings. But, I don't think its fair to give it 5 as all pedals are pretty much simple to understand anyway.