DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Allegro Music

I bought this pedal to give me a light distortion for use with my Vintage VS6 and Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. This pedal creates no unwanted sound, even when I have the MT-2 and this on at the same time the unwanted noise is barely noticeable. It is not as crunchy or as powerful as the MT-2 but thats why I bought this. I can get a very good Blink 182 sound from this which was odd because thats not what I inteded it for. The distortion is quite nice sounding and it gives a nice fuzz effect.

I play Blink 182 which this pedal is perfect for but I also play other music all the way up to death metal. This isn't good for death metal but I really bought it to give me light distortion which it does brilliantly. Good for getting Blink 182, Green Day, Deftones, Story Of The Year, System Of A Down etc. Good for most rock/metal especially when teamed with the MT-2. I tried this and the Boss OD-3 OverDrive and this was perfect although there was not that much difference. Just the extra 20 for the overdrive. If it was stolen I would definately get it again. It could only be improved by a wider EQ range although that would make it slightly harder to use.

Being a Boss it won't break. Ever. Unless you hit it with your guitar repeatedly at the end of a gig. Actually even then it would break, its built like a rock. Your guitar will break before this. You would definately not need a backup just extra batteries in case they run out.

This is the easiest pedal in the world to use it has 3 knobs, volume, distortion and tone so anyone can get a good sound out of it. The manual has some presets in and I use a lot of them because they sound good. Took me about 30 seconds to get the sound I wanted from it.

guitaristben
    would this pedal be ideal for playing stuff like green day, nirvana, blink 182 etc...?