DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Music Store

I am using this in a Fender Princeton Reverb tube amp, and it sounds great. It's never noisy, and never creates that annoying little hum. The distortion is great for a bluesy sound, and even for that thrash metal sound. You can get the sound of most artists, but there are some that you will quickly find out cannot be achieved with this pedal.

I play mostly '80s rock, and this can find most of the sounds, but not all. I have been playing for three years, and I now use the MXR Distortion along with an MXR 10 band EQ. I still use it in my setup of course, because I love the bluesy sound I can get with it, and of course it can hit that Nirvana sound really well (considering Kurt Cobain used this pedal for quite some time). If it were stolen, I wouldn't replace it though; simply because I am much happier with my MXR setup. Bottom line, this is a great pedal for a great price. But if your looking for that 80's hair band sound, or just a more treble sound, I would go with something else. This is definately worth the money though.

First of all, it's a Boss pedal, so it will definately last forever. I would gig with it and not have a backup of course. Definately buy the power adapter though, as I would not gig with batteries, as for some reason it seems to eat through those really fast.

Just like all Boss pedals, very simple. Tone, volume, and distortion knobs make for easy adjustments. It's very easy to find the sound you are looking for, but this pedal won't find every sound. It came with a manual, but you shouldn't have to read it. Using this pedal is that easy.

eMZki^^
    reading this posts and reviews just gives me headaches ... Most people that post stuff here or either dont have any good guitar/amp/speaker/cables or need to play a few years. How can anyone say that this pedal isnt good or makes noises ? The best guitar players in the world have it (Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons, etc ...). Do you hear any noises in "For The Love Of God" or "Satch Boogie" ? Its all in your gear guys, 'cause this pedal already proved that it's great stuff (any Boss in general is). guitaristben : would this pedal be ideal for playing stuff like green day, nirvana, blink 182 etc...? hell yes! just tweak it to your playing style and you'll probably get the effect that you want (depending what gear your using of course) Quintessence153 : I've been considering getting this pedal, so how does it sound on solos and rhythm parts? Just listen Vai ... =)