DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: nevada music

I'm am using it with a Yamaha Pacifica 112 guitar (lovely guitar) and a Marshall MG15CDR (terrible distortion). I must say this has improved matters immensely. You get nothing but crisp, crunchy distortion, and it's very versatile, you can tailor the distortion to the type of music you are playing with ease. It is never noisy even at high volumes. The tone knob is a little sensitive, you have to be very careful where you place it or you do not get the right sound. The effects always sound great no matter what. I can get the crunchy fat tones of Stereophonics (1000 trees, Local Boy) or the brutal distortion of Muse (New Born, Stockholm Syndrome, Supermassive Black Hole etc). I can also get lighter softer distortion for softer songs very easily.

I play anything from rock, blues, Indie etc and it is very easy to get excellent distortion and tone from all of the genres. No wonder it's so popular with guitarists around the world. It's so reasonably priced too. I have been playing electric guitar for a year, I own a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a Marshall MG15CDR and all three work brilliantly together. If it were stolen or lost I'd buy it back defo, or I might try out the Ibanez Tubescreamer TS808. I love the range of tones, the reliability and the value for money of this pedal. I seriously can't think of anything wrong with it, apart from a sensitive tone knob. If you play rock and want proper creamy distortion, buy this pedal!

It's made by Boss out of the strongest metal known to man. You could do anything to it and it still won't break. I have never used anything so durable and solid. I would definitely use it at a gig without a backup, anyway, why would I want another distortion pedal, when this can give me so much more? The battery life is good, I get about 18 hours of battery life, which is more than enough for me.

Very easy pedal to use, just 3 knobs, one for tone, one for volume and one for distortion. In the handbook provided it shows how to get a particular sound for a particular type of music. Turn the gain knob up, the gain goes up, turn the level up, and it may get louder. Press the pedal down, you get distortion, press it again, it goes back to clean. The manuel is informative, clear and concise. Even a 3 year old could use this.