DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Dick's Music Shop

I am running the pedal through a Crate GX-15 and using either a Univox Hi-Flier or Fender Jaguar. The only time it's noisy is if you turn distortion, tone, and level all the way up and go up to the amy for feedback. The effects are flawless every artist I've tried to emulate (except Slash) I've been able to pretty much match. It especially works for Nirvana, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and '80s metal (not glam I hate that crap). This is definitley one of the best range distortion pedals on the market able to make a crunch, light, or fuzz.

I play hard rock, and a little grunge. Grunge is the perfect match for this pedal unless the fuzz isn't fuzzy enough (which I highly doubt). Hard rock works just as well this pedal really emulates that '70s and early '80s medal/hard rock. I've been playing for 6 years. I also own a Small Clone Chorus Pedal, Boss BF-3 Flanger, and Boss DD-3 Digital Delay. The only thing to ask is to see the pedal before buying it (I doubt these would possibly break) just in case. If it were stolen I would knock the guy Who did over the head with my Hi-Flier several times and tie him to a light pole with the strings. I love everything about it. I hate nothing about it. My favorite feature is the fact that it's made of metal and comes with a 5 year warranty (like I said impossible to break but) just in case. I tried it alongside a Rat Fuzz box and the fuzz box sux. This one has such a long range for different styles of music. The only thing that could make this purchase better was if it had been free. One last thing I got it half off for $50.00 but I would say $200 dollars isn't too much for this pedal.

With being made by Boss this pedal is all metal therefore extremely durable. The battery has really good life as long as you disconnect the pedal when done using. I would definitley use it on a gig by itself, although for as many tones as there are possible to achieve I (granted the money) have a few copies for different sounds.

This is a great beginner pedal (a good professional pedal for that matter). The dialing knobs move very slick and no matter what setting you'll get good distortion. The manual gives some sample settings for beginners and blank spaces for you to create your own settings.