DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Using a crappy GAX Ibanez Gio and an even crappier 10 watt Marshall Amp, this pedal makes both of the crap jobs sound extravagent. It has a great seperation between strums no matter if you're playing power or proper chords, but when the tone is at it's highest, it sounds very sludgy. Other than this setting, it's got an incredible sound to emulate Green Day, Foo Fighters, Operation Ivy, Nirvana, Elvis Costello, and many, MANY more. This doesn't have much noise circulating around, so it's perfect for adding another effect like flanger or a vibrato.

I mainly play grunge and punk, sometimes branching out into a little rockabilly, and this works well. I've been playing for about 2 years now and all my other pedals (Washburn Scott Ian PMD, DigiTech RP50) don't compare with this one. I bought an AC adaptor so I could play it without a problem, and I highly suggest this. I would definately buy it again if it broke or was stolen, it's just that good. It has the "warm" distortion I've looked for in my 2 years of playing, but I do hate that it gets very muddy when you place it on the treble side of it all. My PMD was too muddy and my DigiTech just had amp models, exactly what I wasn't looking for, so this is what I chose. The only thing I wish it'd have would be a boost feature for leads.

This thing's hevier than my first and second pedal combined. It's a very heavy duty pedal made of a really strong metal. There's even a tension setting that lets you adjust how much pressure you need to activate it! It's the only pedal I own that I could probably use without a backup and still feel safe about stomping on.

This is officially the easiest pedal I've ever used. Getting the perfect sound was a snap using the tone controls. As opposed to some other distortion pedals, the DS1 actually has the exact volume of the guitar when it's turned all the way up, instead of blowing your amp as a result of volume change.

pinkvelocity
    ok I have this pedal but now I just got an RP250, but when I connect the two pedals, the Distortion DS-1 screwes up the volume (level) any tips?
    pinkvelocity
    ok I have this pedal but now I just got an RP250, but when I connect the two pedals, the Distortion DS-1 screws up the volume (level) any tips?
    thebrokensmile
    out of a behringer UM100 and this i'd so rather go for the behringer. its a lot cheaper and its got more settings. but the durability is a bit weary because its made of plastic unlike this monster. anyway just get one that you like.
    scalemaster
    3rd review is ridiculous. a les paul or a what? ibanez strat!? i gotta get me one of those... i bet they rock even harder than a fender strat..... hahahahahaha
    PhantomWuss95
    I have an Epiphone G-400, and a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12. Sometimes I want a little more distortion than i can get out of this amp...but I don't want an insane amount of feedback. Should I get this? The guy at the music store also reccomended getting Gibson pickups.