DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Guitar Guitar

The DS-1 has great sound. I'm using a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, and it goes to a Marshall MG30DFX, and the sound is great. My amp doesn't have the best distortion around, so I knew I needed a pedal. I tried this out at the store, and it blown me away. It works for most styles. It has a nice range of distortion from bluesy distortion into some heavy distortion. The pedal isn't really the best about for metal, but it does the job. The pedal can be a bit noisy when you have the level crancked up. I often use the pedal as a boost, and when I'm not playing, I get a loud buzz and a little feedback. But that's not a big issue for me, I just keep turning it on/off when I need to.

My overall impression of this pedal is that it is amazing, hence why I bought it. I play a range of music from Hendrix blues sort of stuff to hard rock like Guns N' Roses to some metal like Metallica, and it is great for these. I love the range of distortion you get from the pedal, and I like how you can easily turn it on by stamping on the large black square which has "Boss" on it. If it were lost or stolen, I'd definately buy a new on again, I love it. If you're looking for kickass distortion, here it is. And for 34.99 it is an amazing deal.

The pedal is great. I'd definately use it at a gig without a backup, because it is so durable and reliable. However, using batteries, it can drain them pretty fast if you use it a lot. So if you play a gig Live, and use batteries, always bring a spare one. The pedal is best used with a 9V Adapter, then you don't need to worry about it.

The DS-1 is such an easy pedal to use. It has three knobs, "tone", "level" and "dist". The knobs are easy to turn, and aren't stiff or anything. The DS-1 also has two 1/4 jacks, input and output, and a slot for a 9V adapter. The pedal comes with a manual which you don't really need to figure out how to use the pedal. The manual does have some helpful stuff in it though, like some settings you can use for different styles.

AdamDK
    PhantomWuss95 wrote: I have an Epiphone G-400, and a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12. Sometimes I want a little more distortion than i can get out of this amp...but I don't want an insane amount of feedback. Should I get this? The guy at the music store also reccomended getting Gibson pickups.
    This pedal is fine, but it can give a little feedback, and an annoying buzz kind of thing if the level is too much.