DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: B's Music Shop

Alright I use a Michael Kelly Patriot Q and a B-52 Head through Peavey speakers. You can get a punk rock sound out of this but I find it is better for songs with more of a blues\'60s influence. There is no real punch just old fashioned light distortion. Honestly, I have no idea how Kurt Cobain got the sounds he did with this pedal. The pedal will not garner a lot of feedback as long as you don't place it super close to your amp.

I play a wide variety of things so for the lighter bluesier stuff it gets a good sound. It is a good solo pedal though. As demonstrated by John Frusciante. I've been playing for a year and I would really rather use an Overdrive pedal because I like a warmer heavier sound. I don't love it, don't hate it, I just use it occasionally, I really wish it could get a warmer sound though. Advice would be, play blues/RHCP and use it for solos. Couple it with a wah pedal and you will have one sexy solo Machine. If it were stolen I guess I would do some bodily harm for it, but that's just because I don't like people stealing my things.

If the pedal suits your style then you will definately not need a back up. This thing will get the job done, just be sure to carry with you 9 volts or a have a power adaptor at hand. And don't worry about it breaking because it is built like a 50 year old german lady. But for the most part as long as you aren't punk rock in a small crowded club with rowdy drunken dwarfs it shouldn't even garner a scratch.

It's a Boss stompbox so it's obviously really really simple. Even the most idiotic player could learn how to use this. The manual is really not needed at all for this product. Though there are people that could mod this product to give it different qualities which could be difficult for a lot of players who aren't geniuses. But overall it is just tone, level, and distortion. Plain and simple folks.

acdcrocks0323
    goes this put out enough gain for stuff like metallica or do i need something like the metal zone?