DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

I use this pedal with a Fender Mustang and play it through a Marshall MG. This setup has a little noise and some hum already, but I notice no added hum, until you start to turn up the tone knob and get a more trebly sound. The higher you push the tone, the higher the buzz gets, which is understandable. You're usually safe just turning up the treble on your amp to get the desired affect, which avoids all the nasty noise. This is a very simple pedal, but there are a few different tones and it is easy to find something you can match to whatever you're trying to play. I've so far found a great Lamb of God tone, a nice Muse tone, and a Yeah Yeah Yeahs tone, which all sounds great. My only complaint would be that I can't get a much heavier sound that just what I would normally get from my amp, however there are many tones to choose from.

I play several styles of music and this pedal is useful for all of them. Whether it's a metal tone, or a softer distortion for an Indie rock song. It gets a really great low-end tone that just plain sounds cool, and I'm very happy with my purchase. Although, I was a little underwhelmed at first, I've come to like it. If it were stolen, I don't think I would buy it again, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the pedal, it's just I would use that opportunity to try something new. I was also thinking of getting a DigiTech Grunge pedal, but decided to go with the Boss and I am happy I made that choice.

I just recently got this. But from what I understand, this pedal is built like a rock and can withstand plenty of stomping and transport. I would use it during a gig without a worry at all, because it is a great pedal. Although I don't have a lot of experience with pedals, I would say that compared to everything else I tried, this pedal also seems to be really responsive and doesnt't require a great amount of force to Switch on and off, which will definitely improve it's lifespan.

This pedal is exceptionally easy to use. It's the first pedal I've ever owned, but I have experimented with other friends pedals, and I would say it is the easiest to use. Now, it is a bit simplistic but that isnt necessarily a bad thing. There really is no need for a manual, but it is useful in giving you a few suggestions for setting the knobs. And also gives you a step by step about, you know, setting up the pedal, what plug goes where etc.

quimson
    i kinda wanna get this pedal but i think it'll be too noisy. is it going to be too noisy for red hot chili peppers stuff?