DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Boss: DS-1 Distortion

I used to use this with a Godin SD (my first electric.) and a sucky Peavy amp (my first amp.) and it sounded pretty good for anything from Ramones to Deep Purple (Smoke On The Water, the first song I learned). You can't get too too many different sounds out of it because it just has the Tone, Volume and Dist. knobs, but you can get like all the basic tones or whatever.

The Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal is good for beginners (it was my first pedal.)I've been playing for several years and I also own a Crybaby Wah and Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal. I wish I would've asked about the warranty. If it was stolen or lost (or broken like mine.) I wouldn't buy a new one. The input jack makes weird noises sometimes. I didn't compare it to any other products because I was low on ca$h at the time ans it was the cheapest thing they had worth buying. It'd be better if it had more knobs which would make more sounds available. So, yeah good for a beginners' first pedal.

I've played Live like 2 or 3 times with it and it was fine. I wouldn't recommend using it without a backup but something good about when it screws up is that slowly screws up and you'll notice that right away when you're at home playing, rehearsing or just jamming with a friend because it kinda skips and you don't hear any amplification for your guitar for a second. Mine broke after owning it for like a year and a half.

The DS-1 pedal is easy to use mainly because it only has 3 knobs (distortion, tone and volume level) and has the basic input and output jacks. It comes with a manual that tells you how to hook it up to your guitar and amp, what every knob does and gives you examples on what settings will get you "warm crunch," "american rock," "british punk," "fuzz tone" etc.

waltb87
    Really good effect, I've been using it for 6 years and i paid about 49.99 for it, and i loved it ever since. I use it with my Fender 25R amp, and my crybaby wah. And it works perfect with my les paul.
    Thurisaz
    I use this with a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive and I can get a pretty decent tone, especially if I have the amp moderately loud. More for 80s rock and metal, but with an EQ, you could get much more range from this pedal.