DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Coda Music

I use it in conjuction with my B.C. Rich Warlock playing through a Zoom MRS-1608 and the sound is quite diverse, I can play everything from metal to Blues. It is definatley more suited to playing Blues stuff. Pinch harmonics don't sound to well on it unless it's loud, but noone has their amps quiet. The pedal definatley leans more towards lead playing as it has plenty of treble but the bass doesn't stand out too much.

I play Blues and Metal, as I've said, it's perfect for blues, I couldn't ask for a better blues pedal. In metal it is not at it's top form. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, and I own a few more pedals, but this one really holds it's ground to me. If this pedal were stolen I would be quite unhappy, but I can be bought secondhand for about 25 so it wouldn't be too big of a loss. I had one problem in which the knob kept falling off as the two pegs had been forced together, and open triyng to open them back up (with a knife I might add) one of the pegs broke off (and the knife went into my hand) but it's merely an aesthetic problem. I find this pedal can sound really amazing through a Marshall Valve of any sort (as would anything) and if you really crank up the volume you can hit those treble notes beautifully.

For playing live blues, I would depend on this pedal to the end of the earth. I find I don't need a backup as it's battery life is brilliant, and has the decent durability and quality you would expect from any Boss pedal. For metal stuff I tend to use this as a backup pedal, as it's not the best pedal for it. It will work and it will hold it's ground, but there are better pedals for metal out there.

It find it's a really simple pedal to get a decent sound from. There's the simple three knob deal, which is how I like it. I don't like too many knobs and switches to fumble around with until you get your sound. I didn't get a manual with mine as I bought it secondhand but I believe that you get a manual with it that gives some examples of differant sounds.