DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Musician Freind

I am using this with all my Epiphone guitars (Epiphone G-310, Epiphone G-400, Epiphone Dot). It dose get noisy on certain high gain settings. This is a generic distortion pedal so I can't really get a certain sound out of it. About all I can do with it is control the amount of distortion. It has sustain that is very awesome, which is why I turn down the distortion knob and turn up the level knob for a boost.

I play rock and blues. This pedal gose with anything that requires distortion, so it gose with it. I've been playing for 4-6 years and own various other Boss pedals. It it were lost or stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again. I'm oly using it as a Live boost at the moment and my playing wouldn't suffer without it. My main overdrive/distortion pedal at the moment is a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, that sounds a lot more natural than thist pedal. Pretty much, this is a good pedal for a first distortion pedal, but if you are looking for a specific sound, look further.

It's a Boss so it's built like a tank. I've thrown it, stepped on it, ran over it with a car, and even set it on fire (not on purpose) and it still sounds like it did the day I bought it. Boss is the most reliable pedal brand on the planet. I feel very comfortable using it onstage without a backup.

This is a simple pedal, even for a Boss pedal. There are three knobs. A level, which controls the volume. Tone, which is kinda like a treble. And gain, which controls the amount of distortion. The manual was worth flipping through since there was a bunch of sample settings.

Korzack
    Thurisaz wrote: I use this with a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive and I can get a pretty decent tone, especially if I have the amp moderately loud. More for 80s rock and metal, but with an EQ, you could get much more range from this pedal.
    Thank you friend, you've just solved the mystery of my next purchase. Should go well with the SD1 and the Dunlop crybaby.