DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Mary's Music

I use mine with a Schecter Omen 6 and a Fender Blues Man Jr. 15 watt. This thing has very little noise just a little bit of buzz on the higher distortion settings. The distortion can sound a little empty, but with a little tweak of the tone knob, this can be fixed.

I play Progressive Metal (Messhuganah Etc.) and some rock. This thing suits me perfectly. It's just powerful enough to give you that metal umph, but not so distorted and fuzzy that you don't know what your playing anymore. I've been playing for about 3 years. I originally owned a Lyon Distortion pedal (Target brand) and at the time I just wanted to blow my amp out (I was young). If it were lost or stolen, I'd either get it again or get it's bigger brother the DS-2. I just love this thing. I just wish it had a little bit more tweakability.

I totally depend on this little bombshell. It's made of metal of some sort, so I know it's at least midly durable. I would and did use it without a backup and it did just fine (but I am using the ac adaptor). I don't really think I can afford a backup, but I trust the DS-1.

This stomp box is rockin right out of the box. It only has three knobs (tone, level, and distortion) so the tweakability is cake. It comes with a manual which is very helpful and even comes with some sample settings. It does what it was made to do and it does it well.

led,rainsong
    i got this a few weeks ago because i wanted something basic and cheap it's ok but not the best im new to pedals so im not sure how to adjust it well but i tried some other pedals in the store and the Boss distortion/ overdrive pedal was kinda cool because it had some overdrive with it but i couldn;'t afford it (shows how poor i am! lol) my teacher recomended the Ibanez TS-9 but i didnt try it out
    bigtristan
    i got this pedal yesterday and i couldent be happier with it, i play everything from B4MV to U2 and blink182 and this pedal makes the perfect sound for all of them.
    E_squared
    Can anyone suggest where I should set the knobs on here to get a Nirvana sound? I've been messing with this pedal and I can get it to sound pretty close to Nirvana, but not quite there. Any ideas?