DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Ok, here's where I have issue with the pedal. It's very good and a great starter, but I find it generic. The set up I'm running is a Fender Deluxe Player's Strat into a Crybaby Wah into a DS-1 through an Electroharmonix Small Clone Chorus and into a Vox AD50VT. It does a decent job it really doesn, but I play a lot Pink Floyd and this pedal really isn't ideal for it. With a pedal like this, expect punk and alternative. We're talking Radiohead, Nirvana, and the like. You can get "Sunshine Of Your Love" ala Cream, however, I find it limited to a degree. If you're looking for something a bit more smooth and violin like, go with something like a Big Pi Muff or Fuzz Face and play it through (and here's the important part) a tube amp.

Overall it's a great pedal for trying out and starting up. It's not for every style of music, but it has a very versatile use. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. If lost, I would replace it with a Big Pi Muff or Fuzzface just because those suit what I do a bit more, however I would not put Boss products out of the picture. I suggest giving it a whirl with your rig and seeing how it fits in and playing around with it so you have an idea of how well it complements your sound.

It's an incredibly reliable pedal, I mean, the thing's built like a tank and as far as battery use, it is really good on a 9 volt. I would easily gig without a back up, I mean you really can't expect anything less from Boss. They build really good quality equipment that lasts.

Alright, it's a really easy pedal to use. Plug it in and dial in the tone and distortion you want. You really can't screw up when it comes to using this pedal. Step on the activator and you're ready to go. As far as finding the sound you want it's just a matter of playing with it and seeing what suits you best. Boss does a great job when it comes to making player friendly equipment.

killjoys
    the pedals got some xtra noise but its definately worth its salt and the cost is just incredible buy this pedal and you wont regret it
    EldonsName24
    This pedal seems to---uh---beginner's Like i'd recommend the uh "Maximux Distotrus" pedal for that kinda gruge sound haha