DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Robert M. Sides

I use this pedal with my Squier Stratocaster (modded - new pickups and pickguard to give a better sound) and my amp is a Vox AD30VT 30 Watt Stereo 10 Inch Combo Guitar Amplifier. The pedal isn't really to noisy. You may get a lot of buzzing/crackling if you turn both the Tone and Dist. knobs up all the way but my amp can control this therefore it is not a problem for me (if you have a crappy amp it might be). The effects sound awesome. It ranges from a warm, slightly distorted clean sound to a hardcore rock sound. You can play Metallica, greenday, some Rob Zombie, all of that with this pedal.

I play mostly: rock, hardcore, and some metal. I've been playing guitar for about 1 1/2 years now. I own no other guitar, I own a 10W Fender Sidekick for practice, and various effect pedals. I do not wish I'd have asked anything before I bought this. If this pedal was stolen or broken I probably wouldn't buy it again. I mean I love it and all, but I would prob. Switch to a Boss Mega Distortion (to suit my hardcore needs). I love the range this pedal can reach and hate really nothing. My favorite feature is cranking the Tone and Distortion knobs to get a hardcore thrash sound! If anything, a gain knob might be nice, but the level knob can pretty much handle itself!

Durable! I'll tell you that much. I can throw this thing at a wall and not worry too much about it being broken. It's made out of a durable metal with very little, possibly no fragile parts. I used this at a few "gigs" lets call them, without a backup, and perfect. The battery life is around 90 hours (depending on the battery) or you can use an AC adapter or both.

I found this pedal very easy to understand. The pedal comes with a manual giving detail on what all three knobs do and various sample settings like British punk, fusion, fuzz, and more. There are three knobs: tone, level, and distortion; making this pedal very easy to operate unlike a more sophisticated pedal with numerous knobs and switches.