DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: J. Billen, Belgium

I play on an Ibanez GRG170DX and Line 6 Spider II amp. It gets noisy with single coils on the guitar, but sounds great with humbuckers. The sounds are very high-end, so I turn down the tone know to 9 o' clock. with the Drive knob turned all the way down, it still distorts a lot. I set it about 12 o' clock, cause I play softer kinda music with my band. It also sounds very plastic, like a multi-effect, I don't think it's that good for metal. My Dunlop GT-OD can get a way more powerful sound than this pedal.

This pedal dissapointed me. I sometimes play progrock/metal, and I knew that john petrucci and Joe Satriani also have this pedal, 2 of my favourite players, but I can't get the same sounds out of it. It was stupid of me not to check out the sounds of the pedal before buying it. If it was stolen, I'd love not having this pedal on my pedalboard, and I wouldn't buy this pedal again, I would try out the Dunlop Distortion III, and then maybe buy it, but for the music that I play, my overdrive pedal does enough, so I'd look up for a delay of phaser pedal.

Yes, I can depend on it, but actually, this is my backup to my Overdrive pedal. This pedal will last for years, it's well built, and I love the way the adaptor input is on the back, like all Boss pedals, all Dunlop pedals have it on the right side and that makes it hard to connect. You also don't have to press hard on this pedal, you hardly have touch it to engage it.

It's hard to get good sounds out of this. Those three knobs can give you a wide range of distortions, and are easy to tweak. the manual contains usefull presets. It's like all Boss pedals, very easy to replace batteries, but I use it with an adaptor.

TheKinks
    Alright, I got mine at $85 from spectrum music wich has recently closed down. it was discounted. I was told never to buy a pedal unless if it's boss. Damn Right. Boss is the best brand by far. Just don't buy this pedal. I have used this on many amps. it worked well on a silvertone 10 watt amp. but the amp couldn't sound any worse. than i used it on an amp that i wouldnt throw away. a laney v 100. it was shit. it sounded terrible. it may just be the amp. i dont know. just be careful when you buy it.