DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

I'm using the ds-1 with my crappy Yamaha erg 121 and Marshall MG10CD amp (also crap), so obviously it doesn't sound amazing. But for around 35 this pedal gives you a wide range of sounds from punk to a crunchy metal tone, and you can also get a damn good fuzz sound out of it. The only problem is that there's a lot of feedback when you turn up the distortion (but that's probably just down to my low quality pickups and amp).

This is a good (not brilliant, but definitely good) distortion pedal, which gives a wide range of tones and is very reliable. It is suited for playing almost any style of music (from light rock to metal), I love this pedal and through a good setup the DS-1 should be great.

I haven't had this pedal for long, but so far it hasn't failed me in any way, the battery lasts for ages. Also, my Boss DS-1 pedal has been bashed around quite a lot and is still working perfectly, so it's clearly a very tough and durable pedal. However, the battery that came with it when I bought was crap, so replace it with a good quality battery (9V I think) and it will last for ages.

Unless you do not know what a guitar is and have never heard of an effects pedal, you will find this pedal very easy to use, it just has selectors for distortion, tone and level, (and obviously the on/off pedal switch). The manual is helpful and gives some sample settings to get you started.

Ace Frehley
    Yeah well...I bought the Digitech Hot Head first.Yesterday they gave me the Boss DS-1 for free and I'm using it as a boost for solos.Comparing the Hot Head with the DS-1,the Hot Head is by far better.I think BOSS pedals are starting to get old..
    ItDestroyedMe
    I have this pedal as well as the CE-5, and I've run into the same problem with both of them. My cables work just fine, and the batteries in each pedal are working (the light turns on), but for some reason when I plug in the pedal, no sound comes out of my amp. Regardless of whether or not the pedal is on, nothing comes out. I think there might be an issue with the pedals' output. Anyone else have similar issues with either of these pedals?
    skvvisgaar
    sorrykid77 wrote: i got mine for 15 dollars
    same here. 10/10 it does anything I want it to do and sounds unbelievably better than the overdrive on my peavey blazer. more tone, less unwanted feedback noises, and it is easy to adjust for any genre ie. blues-tone lowish, dist-low, level-med.