DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Easy Music

I play a PRS SE Singlecut through a Kustom Defender. I like the Distortion high, with the tone near 12 o'clock. It hits just about the sound I need. I've been experimenting with my amp clean, or a little saturated, and have to tweak my amp's EQ settings for either option. I like how heavy this pedal can get! Give it a Mid control!

I play a lot os classic rock, with a mix of Grunge and modern metal. I've been playing for 15 years and prefer this pedal over my last distortion pedal, the DigiTech Grunge. This pedal is a nice match with the TS9DX, giving me just the right amount of distortion I need. I like it. A Mid tone control would be a nice addition.

I can always depend on Boss pedals. They build these things to last! I had a Metal Zone before, and got my money's worth with it. I can rely on this pedal, but can always use my Tube Screamer in it's place, even if it can't get as heavy as the DS-1. I will definitely use the DS-1 for gigging.

This is a pretty straight-forward pedal that does what it does nicely. I have a TS9DX for Overdrive and needed a pedal that could do the heavy stuff. Finding the right tone took a bit of tweaking while listening in line with my amp speaker. It would be nicer to have a Mid tone control, as the Tone control tends to be high on treble.