DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Friends Dad

I use a very simple setting. I have the Tone jus below half and the distortion and volume just above half. With this effect you get a fuzzy, crunchy tone with it so you can blast through those low, warm metal riffs. Great for playing in drop D. I play through a Marshall MG30DFX with a Vintage V100 guitar. The feedback is quite bad, but it's not the worst I've heard. When the volume is full I have to click it off if there is a gap in a song because the feedback is too noisy. The effects always sound great whatever you want. Blast the Distortion up to full for a great blues tone. Take the Tone up for a high treble crunch tone. Or back everything off for a simple clean boost. Whatever your fancy, this will have it somewhere. I always strive towards the tones of Matt Bellamy, Billie Joe Armstrong, Slash and Noel Gallagher. Every single of them artists are met with this pedal if you fiddle around with it a bit. If I play with volume and distortion just over half with the tone just below half I can get the Matt Bellamy fuzz type sound, with distortion.

I play mostly Muse and Green Day songs. This matches it perfectly. I have been playing about 3 years and I own a Marshall MG30 DFX and Vintage V100. If this was stolen or lost I'd probably buy it back, after I'd got other pedals such as a Boss FZ-5. I love the fact that it is easy to use and there is a range of sounds, however I hate having to take out all of the leads when I finish playing, but that happens with all effects pedals. If you need a cheap 30/$60 distortion pedal. This is the one to get. It's solid, it's cheap and the sounds produced are brilliant!

This is solid. And I mean solid. You could stamp on it for a year and it wouldn't even scratch. Just be careful of the knobs when turning it on and off because they are turned very easily. I would definately play with this thing without a backup. Even though I don't play shows. If I were to though, I would use this effects pedal.

I did not get this brand new. The condition is as good as new but I did not get the box or manual so I can't comment on how good the packaging or manual is. It is incredibly easy to get a range of sounds out of this thing. 3 simple knobs that all mix in with each other to create a perfect distorted mix.