DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Musician's Freind

While I have only tried this pedal through a solid state amp, I can still say that this isn't a versatile pedal. It sticks to one distortion sound, and cannot be modified by any great means. There are basically three types of distortion with this pedal: quiet distortion, regular distortion, and noisy distortion. Yes, when turning up the gain knob a great deal, you get some noisiness, but that is expected since there is no built in EQ. Overall, this is pretty generic distortion, and I would have to say: if you are looking for a specific sound, then please, look further in the great amount of Boss pedals out there.

Overall, this is a pretty generic pedal. It does fall short price wise of the other Boss pedals, but you get what you pay for. I recommend using this pedal as an Overdrive boost for solos, because you won't be getting much otherwise. This is also a good beginner pedal. I personally think that this pedal would be better if it had a built in EQ. While I can't think of any particular music style this pedal would suit, I can say that the distortion sounds synthetic, rather than a natural Overdrive. So in other words: this pedal would most likely suit the heavier rock guitar player. However, if you DO play metal, I recommend getting the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone instead.

All Boss pedals are very easy to rely on. I have never had any breakdown problems with this pedal, or any Boss pedal for that matter. It is built like a tank. I could easily rely on this pedal without any backups for 30 straight years, gigging or not. You can step on a Boss, run over a Boss, heck, you could even throw one off your roof (I've tried). Boss pedals still sound as good as new, no matter what they go through.

This is an overall simple pedal from Boss. While I wouldn't say it is their easiest pedal to use, it is without a doubt one of the most self explanatory pedals from the company. There are three knobs: gain, which adds the amount of distortion, tone, which is basically a treble knob, and a level knob that measures the volume of the effect. This is an easy pedal to use, recommended for beginners. Check out the instruction manual. It offers some amazing tips.

AlexAvarice
    leondb wrote: I picked this one up recently. I replaced my Digitech Grunge with it. Overall, it was worth the money. I'm starting to find Digitech pedals to be fragile. I had problems with the Grunge and Hyper Phaser after 1 1/2 years of use. And I am pretty careful about swapping batteries.
    Wow, to be honest, I did the opposite. I couldn't get anything close to a good sound out of this thing and traded it to my friend for his Grunge pedal. It has such a better range of high gains and crunch rather than the fuzzy distorted mess I would get from DS-1.
    flem187
    Someone talked about Steve Vai and Joe Satriani using DS-1, but they are using Keeley Mod ones, the Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra Mod. That's why they got heavier sound from that pedal.
    bangholio214
    i got a shitty amp, which is yamaha GA 10 it came with the begginer bag but anyway, i got myself a good ibanez, but the amp still sound shitty, should i get this pedal to make it sound better
    DC5
    Did Kurt Cobain use this through a clean channel on his amp?