DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Amazon

I use an Epiphone G-400 with a Peavey Vypyr 30 watt amplifier on a clean Fender Twin setting. if you crank the distortion and level, it will get pretty noisy, which is understandable, however, on the right settings it can give me just the right amount of crunch to get me through a good riff or solo. Set the tone control to 12 o' clock and your tone stays the same, rock it back and the bass is increased, giving a thick tone. Put it forward and get a knife edge sharp tone that could cut through any solo. It's very difficult for me to give this any other rating than ten.

I play classic rock, blues, instrumental rock, experimental rock and a little bit of metal. It suit's all but one of these perfectly. You would be better off with something else for metal, but to be honest, this thing is still pretty good at pulling it off if you find the right setting. If this thing was lost, I'd try desperately to find it. If it was stolen, I would find the guy that stole it, then beat him with the pedal, because I know that he's going to be less durable than this thing. I love the tone setting, it gives me way more versatility in my playing. If I want my tone to be thicker, I can. If I want my tone to be sharper, I can. I don't even think I can really ask for anything more out of a distortion pedal. I've sat here and REALLY thought about what I DON'T like about it, and I can't think of anything. It's a distortion pedal, a damn fine one. I can't ask for much more except maybe a maid to come and clean my house.

The knobs are plastic, but they aren't thin or cheap feeling, so I am confident that they will last the life of this pedal. The enclosure for the electronics is completely metal, and is fairly hefty. The outer foot Switch (that your foot actually presses on) is completely metal with a rubber pad on top. Mine has a couple of paint chips which are very small, but that's due to me dropping the thing onto concrete. So you can rest assured that it's durable as hell because the metal isn't even dented in the slightest. I would use this without ANY backup because I feel totally confident with this in my chain. I can confidently say that I don't think this thing is going to break any time soon, I don't even think I'll need to replace it in the years to come.

This pedal is pretty simplistic. 3 control knobs. One for tone, one for distortion and one for level. This thing comes with a manual, but I prefer to just mess about with it until I get the hang of it. (Who doesn't?). I rate this 10, because in all honesty, it's one of the most simple things to use. There is also a red LED to tell you when it's on. When this thing is running out of battery, the sound is sustained for quite a while right up until it actually runs out of battery life. And you can tell it's running out buy the LED growing dimmer.

joesoleo
    Does anyone think that ultimate guitar is swamped with bogan metal heads that crap on every piece of musical equipment because you cant play metal on it?