DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Present from Parents

I've got a pretty crappy setup, a half-decent Westfield E1000 (strat copy) and a solid state Roland Cube 15X, so I have yet to try this out on a tube amp. It is quite buzzy on full distortion, but it is a fairly cheap pedal, and I don't really mind. The effects are good for classic rock and pretty much anything with distortion, except Metallica, which pissed me off as they're my favourite band. Then again could just be the single coils on my guitar, because it sounds good through my les paul copy, which has humbuckers, but I keep it in drop b tuning for playing Slipknot. It will probably sound good through the Washburn X200 Pro-E, when I get it. Basically, it's a good little pedal to have.

I play mainly rock and metal, and it is a good match for most things. I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now the other gear I have is a les paul copy that I don't know the brand of, and a Marshall MG15CDR, which I don't use because it sucks. I would probably buy it again if it were lost or stolen. I love how it can make good rock, metal and even blues sounds, but I hate how it can't make a Metallica sound, no matter how much you mess with the settings on the pedal and the amp. But as I said, it's probably just my gear. Overall, it's a good buy.

I can definitely depend on it, it's built like a tank! Only complaint is the short battery life, but I'm going to buy the adaptor anyway. I don't know if I would use it at a gig because I haven't heard it through a decent amp or guitar, but probably. It's solid enough to get run over by whatever the heaviest thing ever is, and it makes a decent sound.

There is 3 knobs, so yes, it is very easy to use. One Tone, one Level and the other, obviously, distortion. It's fairly easy to edit how it sounds. The more the tone is on, the more trebly the sound becomes. If you turn up the level with full distortion, you can end up with s**tloads of distortion.

Megadeaf
    I borrowed this pedal from a friend of mine and it sounds SWEET. It has a really good sound if I turn the distortion nearly all the way down, the tone up 2/3rds, and have the shape up about the same. On my Seymour Duncan Invader it creates a nice light distortion sound. However, with it off, it changes the sound a little. This doesn't matter to me, but some people may whine about this. Overall, very well built with good distortion for cheap. What's not to like?
    suwalkanishka
    hey....i need some help....plz suggest.....should i get a ds-1 or a zoom multi-effects pedal??
    Rocker49er
    THIS PEDAL IS AWESOME FOR GIGING. IT'S BUILT LIKE A TANK. AND IT'S SO SIMPLE MY DRUMMER CAN USE IT (not calling drummers stupid). THE DISTORTION YOU GET WITH THE DS1 IS AWESOME. YOU CAN GET ANYTHING FROM SMOOTH BLUES TO CRUNHY METAL. HIGHLY RECOMENDED
    meinsane
    Excellent dist, couldn't live without it. I've had it for almost 2 years now, and it goes well with my CH-1 and Dunlop Crybaby Original. Couldn't be happier