DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Bob's Music

I use this pedal very rarely in my setup. But it is used with my Ibanez ARC300 and my Fender G-DEC 30. This pedal is quite noisy on any setting with other pedals in the loop. Distortion is a very muddy tone that is really not great at all. Modding this pedal with higher end parts makes it a great pedal. Not really many instances I like using this pedal because its just really got a bad distortion tone overall compared to other artists you hear.

I play mainly rock, grunge, classic rock and this pedal just doesn't do the job. Cheap distortion pedal but unless you mod it, it just a lost cause. Wish I would have tried other pedals before buy this one, really a big disappointment, heard better things about the DS-2. Overall this is a pretty bad pedal for what I need it for atleast. I don't get anything desirable from this pedal but noise.

This pedal hasn't failed me yet. Never had a Boss pedal die on me or malfuction. However the tone of this pedal can sometimes be considered a malfuction too. I would invest in a new distortion pedal if I was going to gig. I believe the newer ones are made with cheaper parts and the tone suffers quite badly. Not the Nirvana distortion your looking for.

Very simple operation of this pedal. 3 knobs, tone, level and distortion. The DS-1 is really as simple as it gets with a distortion pedal. Manual is pretty straight forward, battery installation, ac adapter use, intructions on the use of the knobs, bypass switch, etc. Most DS-1 require modding to get a good tone out of it. So knowledge of modding could be useful if your interested in this pedal.