DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Price paid: A$ 65

Purchased from: TradeMe

I am using a Jackson: JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail, Johnson Power 10 amp and a MT-2 Metalzone effects pedal, this pedal runs well with the guitar and amp and who would dumb enough to sue to distortion pedals at the same time? I bought DS-2 so it so I could do my chorus and verses I use my MT-2 for soloing. It is Noisy with and without the amp distortion depending on the level settings wich controls volume ultimately. I can get sounds similar to the legendary Kurt Cobain and Metallica. The distortion on this little hell raiser is awesome seeing thats what it's sole purpose is.

I play grunge/metal/rock/alternative kind of music and suits perfectly, I am sure this pedal will find this place in my bands effects loop. I have been playing for about 2 years now and I listed my other equipment in the sound section. I asked everything I wanted to before I bought this. If it were stolen or lost I would get it again with no regrets. The thing I love about this pedal is that it does disappoint its expectations and is very reliable. I don't really hate anything about this pedal. Great pedal :)

Lets put it like this putting in cannon and then shoot through traffic and you will stil be able to use it, this pedal is rock solid(although they don't expect you to be dumb with it and chuck it in the fire.)I would definitely use this pedal without a back up just a lot of batteries.

This pedal features a stomp box design, Check light,, Input and output jacks, 1 Tone control, 1 Distortion(Dist) control and 1 Level control. This a simple distortion pedal easy to use beginner and experienced will find great ease to get a good sound of it. The manual is good but you really don't need to use unless you are a beginner. This pedal has got an upgraded version wich is the DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal but I still prefer this one. Overall this pedal is a good easy to use and highly effective pedal(It does the job).

hiwaychild1
    nightonthesun wrote: This pedal really sucks. Its one of the worst I have heard. But then again there only about 35 bucks so u get what you pay for. Plus most of the reviews on here on done by newbies, thats cool, they just havent had enough time to experiment with other high quality pedals. I am tube amp kinda guy so I use an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-808, so basically anything compard to the tubescreamer is gonna sound bad. This pedal just has way too much hiss and noise, and its really trebley and just sounds horrible.[/quote] Kurt cobain, Steve Vai and Joe Santriani all use this pedal. You need to learn how to work a pedal before you go bashing it mate. why dont you go play drums or something easier?
    Nirvanafan60
    guitaristben wrote: would this pedal be ideal for playing stuff like green day, nirvana, blink 182 etc...?
    for Nirvana hell yeah and green day sounds alright through it
    devovinium
    I had this pedal for a grand total of 6 years before it stopped working on me. I dropped it, stomped the hell out of it, and left it on for a few days at a time (it was plugged in and I didn't realize I had left it on). Apparently it can take all that abuse fine, but cannot withstand the destructive prowess of my 3 year old son. Lol. Like I said for 6 years it was solid with no problems so I figured what could a 3 year old do to it.... Apparently they're not as rugged and durable as I thought. Though it could have just been age (which I doubt).
    guitardWARf
    Wth is all this randomness about buzz on the level knob when its on max... Just saying but a level knob is there so you dont get to much off a volume difference when you switch the effect on/off and should be adjusted accordingly however my level knob of my dist pedal is at max but it goes into an eq and a compressor/sustainer... Other than using the pedal as a boost on your OD channel I woul see no reason the max out the level knob but then again who uses a DS box for boosting? correct me if im wrong dont want to flame on anyone. Cheers
    shoule79
    Good classic workman-like distortion, lots of varied tones. If all you do is max the gain, it will probably sound like crap (metal heads, i'm talking to you), but back it off a bit and you find everything from classic rock, to classic metal to grunge sounds.
    serialjoe1
    GATLIN wrote: Kurt Cobain used this pedal and thats why i bought it. I like the dirty distortion and feedback it gives off. The settings for Nirvana on this pedal are..Tone 11'o'clock...level is full....and distortion is usually like 3'o'clock but sometimes less sometimes more. I play a G&Ls500 and have a Fender Leadman amp.
    right on bro! i play a g&l legacy with a princeton amp, i am sure ill be picking one of these pedals up soon