DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Price paid: A$ 120

Purchased from: Eden Music Centre

This pedal is my first pedal and I have to say, it's a bloody good pedal. I'm currently using it with a left handed Jackson Rhoads (not sure what model) and a SX 10w amp (very crap but gets the job done). I use the amp with clean setting and have the pedal on (Tone: 12 o'clock, level on 9 o'clock + and distortion on max) and it gives a really good sound.

This pedal can be used for anything. I play mostly Metal (Metallica, A7X, Disturbed, Iron Maiden), Rock (AC/DC, Van Halen) and this thing covers them all. And the good thing is I hardly have to change the settings. I have been playing for 2 years and have owned it for about 5 months and it is f--king awesome. If it were stolen I might buy another one, but I could get something better off eBay for the same price. The tone is probably the best part about it. It's not the heaviest pedal but it gets the job done. I haven't compared it to anything because I haven't played another pedal but am hoping to get a MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive. This has everything I need, but I'm still a noob at guitar.

This pedal is built like a tank. The only thing that's has happened to it is wear on the letters for the labels for the knobs. It is really tough and I would certainly use this without a backup. You can jump around on it and it wont break. I've dropped it heaps and nothing has broken on it.

With the three knobs it is very easy to use. All you have to do is turn the knobs to change tone and go from there. The manual was very helpful. It had eight different sample settings and each were very helpful in creating my own sound. It is currently out of service because I used a different power adapter and it blew a capacitor but am going to get it fixed soon.