DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Purchased from: Buenos Aires

By using it alone, I had a good time from it with a 40W Marshall, although the valvestate reverberation is better for me than the emulator that is built up with the pedal. So, I got to understand it was better suitable for any other amp that could not offer such characteristics, like a Peavey of the same size. I used it with one that had the speaker broken in a way that it did with my guitar a sound I couldnt get with anything else, but I do not recomend to actually destroy an amp, but, sound is a very personal matter.

I have used it for rock/blues, but combined with other effects I could get easy into harder sounds. I have used it for years, at home and in sessions, at the propper volume its noisy but clear, it was my first pedal, and today I relly heavilly on computerized effects, but stepping on it was not like stepping on a console, you know that it will go day after day. I really liked the quality of the construction and the simplicity of use, I would definitly replace it if I were starting again, I compared it with the similar and more complex devices from dod, and although the price was higher, it really, when compared, you could tell the difference.

As a beginner back then, I couldnt get out without it; It got to be part of my sound, although I was looking at first for a death metal, or a very hard one, I eventually liked the sound that was produced by it. The brand is probably the best for pedals, the construction is of high quality and durabilty is ensured for years. Mine was japanese, I guess now they are all from china, but construction should not be different. Is a very humble device, easy to use and reliable, recomendable for a classic rock sound. If you are totally confient of what you can doopossite, you don't need more, if you are a beginner, you don't need more, is like its good for the opposites.

It's the simplest pedal you can get, I had one for about 15 years till It was my first effect; you get from it a clear rock style sound, and it can be a good complement for blues. It made also a good back up when I was using low quality amps, so it featured a good enviroment, more predictable, it made you feel like you had a better amp, as the quality of the effect was superior from the distortion of any cheese little amp. It made me also have the sound I wanted and to be honest, I didint change it much over the years, although, amps changed, guitars, effects... I still like it to be simple.