DS-1 Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-1 Distortion

Right now, I'm using a Spider III head and an Orange head played thru a buddah monitor. These mixes sound weird but it gives me the sound I want. I don't really like how loud it hums when the distortion is high, but Boss has silencer pedals for that! All the effects sound amazing. With this pedal, You can go from sounding like Eric Clapton to Jared Champion (from Cage The Elephant) in one knob twist. It's pretty sick.

I play mostly alternative Indie style with a hint of heavy and ambience thrown in there. I've been playing for six years and for the price, this pedal kicks all my other stuff's butt. I love how easy it is to get the sound I want. Its so basic, even I can understand it! If this were stolen, I would definitely go buy another. Its just too good of a price for this pedal. I compared this to a few other products before I bought it. I compared it to a 78 Custom Badass before I bought this one. They sounded very very similar but this one was a couple twenties cheaper so I went with this one! I wish I had more Boss equipment. So far a have a few of their cords and this. I'm Pleased with all of it greatly and hop they keep making great products!

I can definately depend on this thing. I was bringing a bunch of gear into my drummers house a few days ago and "fwaak" I dropped it right on the concrete. And it bounced. Alot. When I picked it up, I was expecting it to be broken or some saulder came loose or some shit but I plugged it in and t worked like a dream!

I've only had this thing for a few weeks and this little monster has already become my favorite. There are only three dials so its not hard to figure out how to get the sound you want. Mixed with my spider III head, this thing can create pretty much any sound. If you want more distortion, turn the right knob, if itssqueelin too much, turn the left, its a basic setup but its effective.

MaggaraMarine
    pinheadslts75 wrote: nightonthesun wrote: I am tube amp kinda guy so I use an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-808, so basically anything compard to the tubescreamer is gonna sound bad. Old comment is old, but I would like to respond: Funny, cause my experience with Tube Screamers is that they're bland and generic sounding. The DS-1 has its uses. Mostly as a frankenstein's monster for amateur pedal modders.
    But they are made for different kind of use: DS1 is a distortion pedal so you use it with your amp's clean channel. Tube screamers are OD pedals so you use them through a distorted channel as a boost. Of course you can use Tube screamers with clean channel too but it won't give that much distortion.