DS-2 Turbo Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-2 Turbo Distortion

I use a Epiphone Les Paul and an Ibanez RG320 and I run it through a Marshall MG100DFXH plus a cabinet. I mainly got this pedal because the channels on the amp sounded like tin cans (many say Marshalls are meant to sound like this but thats a load of crap) and my DigiTech RP100 didnt have much grunt to it. I was after a smooth bass/mid distortion rather than an ear splitting treble type and this pedal done the job very nicely. It keeps the distortion smooth and doesnt sound grainy at all and if you back off the distortion you can still get a nice overdrive/crunch (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, all the old rock) and what suprised me was when i selected my Neck pickup and backed off the distorton I could get that smooth Blues Overdrive sound that all Stevie Ray Vaughn Fans would die for. The suprising thing though was that it managed to stay smooth, very nice. The one down point about the whole pedal (im not saying it is bad it still is a great pedal) was I slightly disappointed with the disappointed with the boost, i could have been engineered a bit better but I would say that i'd give the pedals sound a 5 despite this. There is a slight buzz when the tone is turn all the way up but this happens with all distortion pedals so dont worry.

I've been playing for 4 years and play rock, blues, pop, Grunge, metal, and this pedals does it all. It sounds smooth mean and very playable, its incredibly easy to use and is definitally worth considering. I would get this one instead of a DS-1 beacause if you ever need the extra balls, theyre there to play with :). It was hard coming across this product because Boss has a few distortion pedals to offer and im glad I got this one because it is the most versatile. If it were stolen or lost I would definitaly get another one, but I cant see it breaking down because it is built so well. It works best with a guitar with humbuckers in my opinion, but thats because I think les pauls blow the hats off strats when it comes to rock, but if your got a strat and play the blues or rock, it will still perform nicely. Ive only got a solidstate at the moment but i have played a few tube amps (my fav being the JCM800) and I can see a very very very very very huge potential with matching this pedal to a tube amp, I havent tried it yet but if it sounds fantastic through a solid state well I'm sure itll sound overwhelming through something with tubes (unless its a Peavy). It is handy for performing on stage because the turbo cuts through the mix so your leads and solos can be held. I would advise investing in a foot switch though because I can see anyone kneeling down on stage to switch to the turbo stage before a lead (you'd look like a real fruitcake) but any cheap one will do because the Boss one is extremely dear (my Marshall footswitch works fine). An extremely versatile pedal at a reasonable price, keep up the good work Boss.

Well all I can say is that its got 3 sturdy inputs and its built like a tank. I would advise to use an adaptor though mainly because it's always pumping healthy power through it and it saves replacing batteries which in the long run costs more than an adaptor. You could hit this with a hammer and it would still work.

It is extremely easy to get a good sound out of it because there is only three knobs (level, tone, distortion), but what sets this aprt from the DS-1 is the extra remote setting called turbo II which can be manually or footwitched on to provide a mid/volume boost which helps cut through the mix for leads, this setting is extremely handy and transforms the sound of the DS-1 into something like the mega distortion, it gives the pedal a little more bite. The Manual has your basic info and some settings to try, it also has a sheet to record your own settings on aswell. Overall its foolproof so it definately gets a 5 for this part.