DS-2 Turbo Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-2 Turbo Distortion

I personally use it with a Samick malibu modded strat (with a humbucker in the bridge)though a Carlsbro kickstart 10 amp (the distortion on it sucking so much the reason I bought the pedal in the 1st place). It has also been tested on my friends Fernandes Superstrat with Marshall amp too though. The DS-2 is surprisingly quiet, it does however squeel at high volumes. I found that this is due to the cables and adjusting them usually fixes this. To put it simply, the effects roar out and sound amazingly and smooth (with the right settings). They sound somewhat muddy and suppressed below 9 o'clock. Messing around with the amps EQ really helps this pedal. It's really good for leads as it boosts mids and I can get that amazing tone on the fade to black solos for example. The pedal by itself falls just short of heavy metal rythm distorton. With the right amp settings thought this thing can do it all. Oh and it sounds weak on single coils compared to use through humbuckers. The added raw crunch is amazing and I can get the exact tones as say, she-wolf.

I play everything from classic rock to Grunge to metal and this pedal suites it all. The metal part of the equation only works with an amp with good bass response and EQ plus a guitar with humbuckers as I said before though. Works perfect for anything less though. On the tone I'd say its more of a Megadeth than a Metallica if you know what I mean. If it were lost, I wouldnt buy it until I've saved up enough money to buy a better amp. The thing I love most about it is that its just fun to use. No endless fiddling of knobs, just plug in and thrash. I compared this to my friends HM2 and was surprised that its almost the same thing. Only notable difference is that the HM2 has more natural bass and kick while the DS2 has more of a roar.

The pedals extremly dependable but only if used with the AC adapter in addition to the batterys. AC adaptor 'cause using batterys alone at a gig is just stupid. Batteries along with it cos say if something happens to the adaptor or it gets unplugged, well you're dead.

This pedal is extremly easy to use. It has 3 main controls, level, tone and distortion, plus the Switch to change between modes 1 and 2. The manuals barebones, with an overview of the pedal, basic explanations of the controls along with basic settings for them, some precautions and how to replace the battery. Serves its purpose well, but not really needed because the operation of the device is pretty logical.

Weybl Himself
    ahh I love all the n00b articles that think this is the greatest pedal in the world. Not to say it isn't a great pedal, but it aint the absolute best at what it does. Ibanez DS7 and TS7 match it anyday imo, and you can get them without Boss' 200% markup.
    595Metallica595
    uh i got an ibanez TS7 for 35 bucks and it is great, sounds good for grungy stuff like nirvana to the hard rock like alien ant farm to black metal, cradle of filth. its also great for metal like, pantera, metallica, megadeth. i would get that pedal again if it was stolen. (hehe this sounds like a TS7 post)
    KaiserX
    it's a pretty good pedal, variety is definitely its strength. Saves the clutter of having 3 different distortion pedals i guess.