DS-2 Turbo Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-2 Turbo Distortion

Purchased from: Rajen Music

I use a Strat and a Tele, which of course are affected differently by this pedal, running into a 50W Marshall half stack. With the Turbo mode off and average settings it produces a nice chunky distortion with heavy overtones. Flick the Turbo and it really starts to emphasise the higher ranges. It is generally a tidy sounding pedal, depending on amp settings and pickups. I bought it to try and emulate Nirvana's tone, and for this it can be really useful.

This pedal is everything I expected from Boss. I have played guitar for 15 years and owned this for around 13. It is a true warrior of effects pedals. I would certainly buy another if it were lost or stolen. They are $50 more these days, but time does that. I dig the Turbo versatility and the grunt it can add to my Marshall. I now own several distortion pedals, but this is a mainstay of my setup.

After 13 years of use, it is still like new. The input and output jacks are solid and the pedal action smooth. It hasn't chewed through 9V batteries and works well with the AC adapter. I have never felt I needed a backup for this unit. The Boss reputation for toughness is proven by this pedals longevity.

This was the first distortion pedal I purchased way back in 1993. It came boxed up Brand New with a comprehensive manual. With the suggested settings and my own twiddling it is very easy to get a wide variety of distortion using just the DS-2. Having owned this pedal for many years, I never run out of ways to experiment with settings or combinations of guitars and amps that it will pull a good sound from. It is incredibly consistent across small to large amplifiers.

danzig-_-
    ah ive had this pedal for a long time and i wiull NEVER use another pedal or any amp distortion ever again! this my key tone right here! mmmmm turbo setting....