DS-2 Turbo Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-2 Turbo Distortion

Purchased from: Sound Control

The main reason I decided to write this review was because many of the other reviews the pedal was going through SS amps. I'm playing through a Peavey Valveking 112, PRS Tremonti SE, Boss CE - 5, Boss DD-3 and sometimes plug it into a Roland Cube 30 bass and a OLP MM2. You get a little noise when turning the pedal on which isn't too much of a problem, also there's no noise when switching from clean to dist. and vice versa. It makes a weird noise when using with my own amps Overdrive, but I never do that because it's sounds like crap together. I mainly use it for two types of distortion the lead setting I was talking about earlier which still has a lot of crunch which I like and I use mode 1 for a more Indie light distortion. I found that without my amps bright Switch turned on the sound is pretty dull and seems not to have much treble so for same amp uses I recommend keeping it on. I play most types of music but predominantly pop punk, Indie and classick rock I can get a pretty close generic sound for any of these. You can also get a decent fuzz out of it turning the tone up. It sounds fantastic with reverb abit of chorus and delay. I give it a 10 because I needed versatillity and I got it and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

This is a good match for what I play, as I play everything. I've been playing going 4 years now. I've owned various other pedals overtime about 6 guitars and 3 basses. I'd definately buy it again if it was stolen or lost, I genuinely love the sound I get from it. I compared to the Line 6 uber metal which is a decent pedal I just felt it I wouldn't be able to use it for my Indie stuff which I play more than metal. I wrote this review for anyone looking for a review on it through a tube amp, I bought because the overdive on my amp I felt was weak and not my sound, I think this pedal definately does a goob job in providing my tone and giving me the versatillity I needed. I really do recommend through a tube amp, give it a try you might be surprised.

I don't gig but I don't see why I wouldn't although definately get a adapter (and the some daisy chains off eBay) just incase the battery goes. Seems well built and tough it's made out of metal and all my other Boss pedals have survived through various accidents, had it 6 months and no problems so far.

It's very easy to use, 3 knobs (level, tone, distortion) and 1 to change between mode 1 and 2. I found it pretty easy to get a good sound of it I presume beginners should be able to do that too. The manual came with the basics of use and a couple of settings, which is pretty useful if your lazy.

poipoi
    If you play mostly fall out boy, muse, red hot chili peppers, wil this suite me, or should I get something else?
    rush4life
    Just bought it for $35 used, sounds really good! It works to give me that early Neil Young grungy sound like Cowgirl in the Sand and other songs.