DS-2 Turbo Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-2 Turbo Distortion

Purchased from: Local music shop

I'm using this with my Marshall Valvestate 8280 and my 1987 Squier Stratocaster. The pedal works well with both of these. The pedal is noisey when you have all the controlls nearly all the way up, as you would expect. I would probably recommend using a noise reduction pedal to get rid of some of the string noise. You can get a good range of Distortion sound from this pedal, from light distortion, to full on distortion and grungy sounds in turbo mode. The normal mode is more sutble and alows lighter tones, whereas the turbo mode is more distorted and raw. The turbo mode can also be used as a booster mode for soloing. You can get a good range of tones such as Nirvana, Green Day and a few others.

I use this pedal for punk rock & alternative rock tones & it suits this really well. This was my first effects pedal and I was very pleased with it. I tried other pedals such as the Digitec Bad Monkey but this was definately the best. It's suited to playing heavier music. This pedal is too raw for light Overdrive though! I recommend this pedal to anyone Who wants a kurt cobain tone or is looking for a searing overdrive. If it was stolen I would definately get another one. It also sounds good when used with a bass! beginners might prefer a multi effect. Great addition to your pedalboard!

Like all Boss pedals, it's built like a tank and will outlive any human. I would use it at a gig without backup, but only if it was plugged into a transformer as battery life isnt that long. I did have to change the battery lead as it got caught in the spring and broke.

Like all Boss pedals, it's extremely easy to use and the control are neatly laid out. There are two modes to Switch between; DS1 & Turbo. In the manual there are a few recommended settings and a space to write your own. Straight out of the box, I plugged it in as was able to find a variety of good tones. You can get anything from stuble OD/distortion, to ripping, full on distortion. there's also a footswitch jack to allow you to change modes.

koalabacon
    i played through it and i thought it was a pretty solid pedal. kind of expensive though
    rjFender|TMV
    Can someone help me I need a few effects and I really don't want the same shit reviews that I've seen here. Some honest good pedals two that I need at the moment are a wah and overdrive. Yet I'm slowly becoming dissapointed with Boss. Also I need to know a good Tube amp since I favor it more then a solid state.
    Serjem
    toasty_alcohol wrote: i feel like im reading review made by 13 year olds who just started playing guitar....PLEASE LET PEOPLE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE TO REVIEW!
    well really?.. and that would be hmm let me guess.. you?. Anyone can review, doesnt matter if its a 14y old, so pleasa, stop trying to be this cool guy who is rude to ithers. i own a DS 1 and i admit, it's not the best pedal, but if this pedal is an "upgrade" to the DS 1 it might be good.. Many guitarist use it, i've noticed that for sure, so it cant be a buzzsaw. i might even get one. regards serjem
    toasty_alcohol
    kickthebass
    i`m using this one for now and i think that this pedal rules. 2 modes are awesome, but i prefer first because the 2nd, i think, for goddamn hi-gained nu-metal. i play hardcore, and i use it for maximum tone and 50% gain and it`s sounds cool. p.s. also this one used by john frusciante (rhcp) p.p.s. sorry for my awful english
    thedudemeister
    the DS-2 is a good pedal, you can get many different sounds out of it. it isnt too noisy and it will last, i love it
    tedhellcaster
    dime4ever : this PEDAL IS A PIECE OF SHIT ITS A BUZZZZZSAW SAME AS ALL OTHER BOSS PEDALS OMG!! i can't believe the crap written in these reviews.either they were written by retards or 9 year olds !!!!
    maybe you got a broken amp.. or a broken ear ) i borrowed this DS-2 and it is VERY VERSATILE. turbo-II is like a roaring car's engine
    BonezShaker
    FinderofNemo wrote: Isnt this was Kurt Kobain used for distortion?
    Kurt Cobain used the DS-1 on Nevermind, DS-2 on In Utero
    rjFender|TMV
    dime4ever wrote: this PEDAL IS A PIECE OF SHIT ITS A BUZZZZZSAW SAME AS ALL OTHER BOSS PEDALS OMG!! i can't believe the crap written in these reviews.either they were written by retards or 9 year olds !!!!
    OR several boss effects lovers that are in denile either way you're right this pedal is not good.
    rjFender|TMV
    poipoi wrote: If you play mostly fall out boy, muse, red hot chili peppers, wil this suite me, or should I get something else?
    Um it's not all that great really there are better distortion pedals out there, Ibanez makes one for example. I'm a major boss fan but this was a dissapointment and you need a great amp just to emulate this thing with somewhat good distortion. You'd be better off with a good tube amp and use it's distortion instead.
    dime4ever
    alt ctrl def
    Why do half of the reviewers have shite amps and guitars to test these things! No wonder they complain about it sounding tinny or thin....
    jay358
    why would you ever pay $167 for this dumb pedal? that's insane.
    Bebbo
    Multi effect pedals are more customizable, so im not gonna fancy this
    Metallicaloveu
    I've got this pedal and I love it, at the begining I was a bit put off it but then grew to enjoy it's sound. However sometimes I feel that the distorition should still be abel to go up that little bit more...
    filthylittleboy
    so clearly not metal tones right? >.< I have yet to find a convincing review for a pedal that I might actually like...
    Slap-happy
    I use a DS-2, in conjuction with a ProCo Rat and a (US)Big Muff Pi. Mainly it's a gain/boost pedal in my chain and nudges the tome for when I need to solo. Depending on the type of distortion I actually want I use the other two pedals or drive my amp (mainly a Vox AC30) a little harder. Play around with the DS 2 and you will get some great sounds out of it, but I wouldn;t rely on using it as a tonal crutch for all distortions types.