DS-2 Turbo Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-2 Turbo Distortion

Price paid: £ 59.99

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

I'm playing through a Fender Starcaster (shitty strat beginner model) into a Fender Frontman 15R reverb amp and the tone is impressive. There is some noise from the amp is you leave the pedal engaged when you aren't playing and at higher gain settings it does feedback easily but I think that this is all in the sense of the pedal, a loud distorted yet beautiful noise. Kurt Cobain used one I found it pretty easy to find his settings (level at about one oclock, tone between eleven and one oclock, distortion all the way up and turbo engaged) and with this setting you can play seamlessly to any nirvana track.

Playing a lot of Nirvana and Grunge all the way to Led Zepplin and the Foo Fighters this pedal never fails to impress me. Having only been playing and self taught for 2 years now this is the best purchase I have made for my setup. I use it along side a EHX Small Clone Chorus and an Onerr Carbon CX-1 Overdrive and they seem to work well together. If this was stolen I would be really pissed off because its so awesome and I would definitely replace it with another DS-2 without question.

Only had it for less than a year but it is frequently moved about, dropped and abused and as expected from Boss its built like a tank and doesn't look like it will give in any time soon. I would defiantly gig this without backup, it will last a fair while running off of a single 9V battery

This is a very simple pedal to use. It has three main knobs (level, tone distortion) and a forth which clicks the pedal into its turbo setting. I'm only 16 and was in such a rush to buy it I couldn't wait for new stock and took the one off of the demo board meaning that for me it didn't come with any manual with any setting suggestions or anything and the fact that I can get many great sounds and achieve what I wanted shows its amazing ease of use. The turbo knob can be controlled by and external footswitch which, although I don't have, I can imagine would make the pedal even easier to use.