DS-2 Turbo Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-2 Turbo Distortion

Purchased from: Previous Owner

The pedal delivers a wonderful distorted tone, which is rich in sustain and vibrant. I currently use the pedal for a dirtier, mid-driven hardcore tone, and clean it up with a Boss GE-7. The pedal delivers a little bit of noise, but not much more than any other distortion pedal would.

For the chaotic hardcore genre, I would totally recommend this pedal. The turbo option really captures the essence of mid-tones and gives the music I play that Drive it needs. I run a TS808 to give this pedal a decent sustain boost to overcome my Rocktron Hush noise suppressor. The tones collaborate well and the overall sound is filtered through the GE-7, giving me an overall tone that I am most certainly 100% happy with.

It is manufactured by Boss, so one can't exactly complain here. It is simply an indestructible musical war-machine. I actually do have a backup of one of these, though; this is, however, only due to the fact that shows can get a bit out of hand at times.

The pedal itself is very simply to navigate and may be used to its full potential by those who know what sound they are actually looking for. The turbo Switch is rather useful, though I found that by switching to turbo distortion, there is a hump in the mids, requiring one to turn down the tone knob, whereas when using the normal distortion, there is too much low boost, requiring you to turn the tone knob up. This pretty much renders the remote Switch ineffective.

rockandmetalfan
    Slap-happy
    rockandmetalfan wrote: ive gotten some ok creed sounds but its not heavy enough for "smells like teen spirit". but good for "heart shaped box" and "rape me".
    Cobain used the DS-1 for Teen Spirit - which is mode 1 on the DS-2. The "heaviness" is the original guitar being double tracked.