DS-2 Turbo Distortion review by Boss

Boss: DS-2 Turbo Distortion

Purchased from: Hermes Music

I mainly use a Telecaster with it. I put it after a Crybaby and then put some other Boss distortions and modulators, and everything goes into a Laney LG35R. It IS noisy, even more than a Metal Zone, especially on Mode II, but it always sounds good on every setting. Its sound depends a lot on the guitar you use, it sounds bright with single coils and really fat with humbuckers; active pickups make it scream fat and big. I play mainly Red Hot Chili Peppers, this pedal produces the distortion that John Frusciante uses in the Slane Castle Concert solos, by setting Tone to full, Drive at 3 oclock and Mode II. If you remove all the high freqs and use humbuckers, you get Grunge fuzz. For grunge, alternative, punk, and of course John Frusciante-style, it is perfect. It is, strangely, not that good for metal. For that, go for a Metal Zone.

I play Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff, jazz, blues and rock. This pedal is perfect for Frusciante's distortion sound and in my opinion, the best distortion for single coils and for everyone not looking for metal gain, but for alternative, grungy fuzz-overdrive-distortion sounds, no matter if you play humbuckers, single coils or active pups. I own several pedals now, and I plan buying more, but THIS is the distortion for me. I love it. Not too versatile but perfect for my style. If it were stolen, lost... I would buy it again, definetely. It is noisy, but well nothing in this world is perfect. Many people try to say that the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal is better that this, well, yes the MT-2 is very versatile and not only for metal, but it cant produce the fat or bright mid boost that the Turbo can produce, trust me, I have tried because I also own the Metal Zone.

It is a Boss, so it is very sturdy and resistant, I use it without a backup if I dont need to take another distortion for different sounds to gigs.

Very easy to use stompbox, it has knobs for Level, Tone, Drive and a Switch for selecting between modes I and II, modes can also be switched with the addition of a footswitch, Boss recommends FS2 but any Switch will work. The manual explains how every parameter works, and shows some settings.

KurdtKobain3
    Mt-2 is over rated crap i run this and if i need extra my DS-1 aswell through a roland cube 40 the MT-2 is a complicating for begginers and a digitalised pedal not my cup of tea, this DS series is raw. Grunge pedal pretty much
    KurdtKobain3
    sheroman wrote: I play kinda indie rock on my Roland Cube30... Kings of Leon mainly, the Killers, RHCP etc...would this pedal be any use for me? Or what about the BOSS DS-1 or SD-1 Super Overdrive? Any help will be greatly appreciated
    um yeah if you dont hit turbo II on should be ok this or the DS-1