FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb review by Boss

Boss: FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb

Purchased from: American Musical

I play it on a Line 6 Spider II amp. I don't use it on the Clean channel. I like how the Twang channel sounds with the gain off on the amp. This pedal sounds very nice! The gain is wonderful! I personally love playing the Cult and AC/DC with this pedal. It's amazing how it makes a solid state amp sound! But I haven't found a very big difference in sound when adjusting the bass and treble. The reverb sounds nice and usable at low levels.

I play a good combination of '70s, '80s, '90s, and current rock. This pedal is perfect for the classic rock tunes my band covers. Love Removal Machine, Wild Flower, Dirty Deeds, Rock and Roll, this pedal really shines! My other pedals are a DigiTech Grunge, and Hyper Phaser. I recently sold my DigiTech Screaming Blues, because it didn't have the sound I was looking for. I love the Overdrive this pedal can put out, and how it sounds, even through a solid state amp. The reverb is ok. It's better then the reverb built into my amp. Give this pedal a try! I've owned it for a few hours now, but I love it!

I owned a Boss Metal Zone years back, and have mostly owned DigiTech pedals. I was surprised how light the FDR-1 is. It feels like plastic, compared to the metal casing of DigiTech pedals. I think it would last, but it just doesn't feel as sturdy as what I'm used to.

This is a pretty simple pedal to use. I looked briefly through the book on the ride home, but pedals don't really need instructions. I kept getting mixed up with which was volume/gain, and which was reverb/vibrato. I'd prefer extra knobs instead of knobs on top of each other. I don't have much use for vibrato, but adjusting the tap tempo wasn't too bad for me.

ehsteve
    im running a matshall and lookin for a good reverb pedal is this the best i they got i havent tried it out yet but does anyone reccomend a diff pedal instead?
    I'll agree with the reviewers and say the reverb sounds best at lower levels. If you're looking for more than just a hint of reverb there are plenty of pedals in the price range that have a lot more options in that vein.
    leondb
    I really like this pedal! I would have liked more of a change in sound when adjusting the bass and treble.
    jamescc
    i wanna use this with a dd3 a bluesdriver..... anyone know if its anygood??
    metalfishy
    rfawarchild
    Element182 wrote: This pedal is for cleans. No one really plays Fenders for the Distortion anyway.I'm getting this for my Peavey Vlave King to add a little personality to the average clean channel on my amp.
    Yep, I did the same and it worked out exactly as you said on the rather lackluster clean channel. It also did some interesting tonal shaping to the gain channel keeping the gain low but the level high. Awesome pedal...
    Rendy
    is this good for jazz? will i get that nice clean, warm, and slightly distorted tone? e.g. for swing?
    mrmatt1972
    I own this one and like it a lot! The thing about the tremolo speed is that, like most amp tremolo, once you set the speed/depth, you leave it there. So yes, it takes about 4 seconds to change the tempo, but it's no big deal. FWIW it is one of the best sounding tremolo pedals around. The pedal has gobs of gain/overdrive so it is a very versatile overdrive pedal, and in front of an amp like a Blackheart, it can fool you into thinking there is a real DRRI being played! Amazing versatility.
    Kakatara
    You can get a really awesome My Bloody Valentine / shoegaze tone with this pedal. The vibrato and gain does wonders.