FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb review by Boss

Boss: FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb

I'm running this pedal as the last in a chain of effects (tuner, EQ, wah, analogue delay, reverb) directly into the input of an Orange Tiny Terror. It does produce a noticable hiss but it's not loud enough to be distracting or to piss off the sound engineer. When you increase the gain, the hiss increases. I'm using this pedal soley as a reverb unit so I have the gain as low as possible with the level at max and the Vibrato at zero. You can create a very nice spring type reverb by dialing in the pedals 'treble' and 'bass' knobs. To be honest, this really does sound like a Vintage Fender amp. The only thing I need to add is that this pedal works much better if you have it in an effects loop (after the power amp), especially if you're using high gain settings as the amp will distort the reverb. I'm getting a effects loop installed in my tiny terror so that I can do this.

I play fairly heavy, ambient, progressive post rock and we spend a LOT of time getting the perfect tone from our amps. Both of us (the guitarists) are professional audio engineers so we're very very picky over these things. The fact that I bought this pedal should be a testament to it's quality. I'm giving it a 9 overall because the Vibrato is kind of annoying to use and it would be nice if you could engage it seperately from the reverb. Otherwise, this thing does exactly what it's meant to do. If you want a Vintage Fender but only have 100 then buy one of these and run it into your clean channel.

Yeah this thing like all Boss pedals is rock solid. Apart from the battery running out I can't imagine that anything could go wrong with it. I would feel no need to use a backup.

It's very easy to dial in a pleasing tone although the reverb knob at max adds ALOT of reverb so it requires a slight touch to get the amount you want. It's pretty intuitively laid out so you could easily change settings during a gig without too much worry. I didn't receive a manual with it.

DUXY50
    Can this pedal be used as an amp simulator directly into a pa system? tks