FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb review by Boss

Boss: FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb

Purchased from: ebay

The sound is great is you are running it through say a basic Crate 2x12 combo. This pedal makes mediocre amps sound great, I wasn't even tempted to run it through the Ampeg jet I have, why put something digital on tube tone? The Crate is a fine amp, nothing special tonally but solid, light "cough", and plenty loud, the pedal doesn't totally transform it a deluxe reverb but it opens a solid state amp to sing a little bit more. It's an amp simulator, don't buy it if you just want the reverb or the tremolo.

I like the sounds of the west loving surf music, corridos, western swing, and other exciting western-centric sounds and Fender amps have always one of my favorite sounding amps. I have been playing out for about 10 years now and have lugged numerous tube amps and rhodes around. Tube amps need a fair amount of maintenance especially when they start getting thrown around in the back of vans. It's nice to go to a show and be able to keep things simple and as light as possible. It's always comes down to the player. And perhaps in the future we will tour by bicycle, borrowing instruments but still being able to achieve some sense of desired tone. For digital pedal, I'm pleased.

I hadn't owned a Boss pedal in years but I know they are built to last.

Despite there being 6 parameters it is very intuitive, just set your eq level on your amp flat and dial in the amp settings on your pedal. The tap tremolo is a little confusing at first but still very workable and a cool addition.