FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb review by Boss

Boss: FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb

Purchased from: ebay

I used to have a 1979 Twin Reverb that blew up at a gig pouring smoke, I love fender tube amps sound but they don't like me they always let me down very unreliable. So I needed something with a similar sound and the best transistor amp I ever played was my old Peavey 112 Special 160w which I luckily bought back off the guy that had it. I use a Strat for blues, Hendrix etc and a Tele for Alan Jackson type stuff. Mainly a strat for scorching Hendrix Cream SRV stuff into a modded Cry Baby - Mad Driver Screamer Clone - Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe - Boss FDR-1 - amp. The pedal is the missing link for me to get a really impressive Fenderish tube type tone from my Peavey my band mates actually think my gig set up now sounds better live and I think I have to agree. It gives the classic push effect of valves and great feedback plus touch sensitive virtually silent operation with this pedal. Its on from power on to I finish playing. I use it set to a crunch setting and then layer the mad driver on top for more ignorance Rory Gallagher to Hendrix type sounds. Now I don't use the reverb on th pedal for blues only use the amp reverb for slow stuff or effect but country I use the reverb on the pedal all the time pitty you can't turn it off and on with another switch ah well...

Well I play country Vince Gill in one band to classic blues rock Rory Gallagher, SRV, Cream and Hendrix in my other band. Been playing 30 years. I tried an amp simulator pedal once by Ashton on this same amp helped a bit but not anywhere as good as this pedal. Comparing the sound to my twin it ain't exact but hey it 'this amp has only one speaker and it just sounds and feels really great. Love this pedal I now have a transistor amp which is reliable and also gets the sound I like it what I call a result. Reverb and vibrato on and off output would be great though.

Sherman tank and has a tolex type hammer finish like on an amp really nice.

Tried setting up the pedal in from my usual amp settings and it sounded horrible so I used the manual to get sample settings and wow made such a difference. The trick is to set your amp flat no presence or bright switch etc and then use the pedal as your eq. Take a while to get used to...

dandsweaver2009
    I have a 79 deluxe reverb that poured smoke Saturday during a show but, cant see any damage and it still plays and sounds ok. What happen? DW