GE-7 Equalizer review by Boss

Boss: GE-7 Equalizer

Purchased from: forums

I am using the GE-7 in front of the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. For the distortion models the on board equalizer is useless so an external one is needed. In fact I max out all the on board eq's and shape the sound with the GE-7. It works like a charm. The pedal is not noisy if the level knob is not raised excessively. I found that for the flat or lower level knob there is no noise. I usually leave it on the 0 setting (in the middle). I hate the lows on the Valvetronix so I use the GE-7 to cut them a little and boost the mids. I get a nice Megadeth sound for both lead and rhythm.

There are several pedals that will do what the GE-7 does but I chose this for reliability and the name. Plus you can get them for half the price (round $55) from forums or craigslist which is excellent. I consider this a must and I wouldn't think about using the distortion models on my Valvetronix without one. The clean channels are fine without an equalizer but the distortion channels are a different story. I would definitely buy another one if something happened to it. I've been playing for over 10 years on and off and in my opinion this is one of the most useful pedals that I have ever used.

The pedal is made of metal and it looks like it could take a lot of punishment. I never heard one of these to go bad. I do not use a battery but a cheap walmart adapter and it works fine. I think I would use it without a backup. But just in case I would not drop it or throw it into someone because I like it too much.

If you understand what this pedal is for it is easy to use. The manual does not explain what sound is and what frequencies are and how the Universe works. It is not supposed to and it doesn't. I think the pedal is easy to use if you do some extra reading on the web. Once you get it then everything is a breeze.

gibofan01
    Bunyip
    gibofan01 wrote: driggsi424 wrote: who the hell buys this pedal as a boost?? im with you guys 100% only buy this pedal if you have an ear for guitar tone um.. ME. i use it for both boost and tone. this pedal is awesome for solo boosting and creating or finding those famous tones.
    agree 100% it makes your solo stand out from your rythm by enhancing the tone to anything you like and giving that extra push over the cliff so to speak
    highwayone73
    Just followed some advice and got one of these for my Express 5:50. I was having a problem shaping the bass with the active eq on the amp so I stuck this in the loop and easy-peasy tweaked it just right. It does work as a boost and if you shape it right it kinda works as a comp too. Great pedal.
    beanhead
    i use the ge7 with a line 6 spider 3 150watt amp. any1 else? the thing is too noisy with the slighest bit of gain you cannot shape the sound at all, the buzz is overwhelming. it resides on clean but is still noisy when u crank up the volume.
    beanhead
    blicero wrote: good eq but better after being modded.
    have u modded one? does it remove all the white noise and buzz? im tempted cos it will bring so much more to my playing, but it's unusable at the moment. any tips welcome!
    driggsi424