GE-7 Equalizer review by Boss

Boss: GE-7 Equalizer

Purchased from: Coyle's Richboro Music

This pedal is transparent. What that means is that it doesn't color your amps mid frequencies, it just moves them around with the sliders. This is great for those people who have a medium priced to expensive amp that they don't want to get rid of but aren't quite happy with. I run this through the loop on my 5150 II to add more hi-mids and tame the very top end a bit, as well as adding a little bump to the 100 hz. The result is an amp that sounds as good as any mesa I've heard and for much less. The effect is instantly heard, sliding something all the way up or down will seriously change your sound, but this thing is best for little tweaks. I can get many sounds out of this, from punk to black metal to hard rock and warm jazz, so it won't disappoint the varied ultimate-guitar community.

This pedal is being used to get a JCM crunch out of the lead channel of a 5150 II for extreme metal, so it can do pretty much anything. I've been playing for a while, and when used right, this thing will really open up different options to you tonally, just knowing how to tweak it is the important part. If this pedal was lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again. I compared this to an MXR six-band, and I choose this one for the extra versatility.

I would definitely depend on this, its durable and sounds great. I would gig without a backup, but not without my power supply. I've had this pedal for a while and its gotten thrown around a bit, still works and sounds pristine.

This pedal has eight adjustable sliders, seven for tone from 100 hz to 6.4k, as well as a gain slider. This extremely versatile little pedal is incredibly useful for getting your tone from 80% of the way there to 100& tone heaven. Like the crunch on you Marshall but it doesn't have enough thump? Boost the 100hz a bit. Mesa too muddy? Suck some of that low end out and let the tone shine. This pedal is excellent, but it's only hang up is the learning curve. A lot of people who get this will use it instead of their amps eq, It should be used in conjunction with your eg and pedals, put into use in the effects loop only after you've gotten as close to the sound you want as possible. It's also a good idea to have an idea of want tone you actually want when going in with one of these, as well as knowing how to go about getting said tone. I wish I could rate this higher, because it's such a great pedal, but alas.