GE-7 Equalizer review by Boss

Boss: GE-7 Equalizer

Purchased from: Music Go Round Natick

It's pretty easy to get a good sound; a manual might be necessary to explain what each slider does and the general frequency each controls, but it honestly is an easy layout to discover and learn just by messing around, assuming you know what each frequency sounds like. From left to right, it controls lows to highs, with level being the last slider. First 2 are lows, middle 3 are mids (from what I can tell, its low mids, mids, upper mids), second to last 2 are highs, and the last is level. It's like having an extended, more specific version of a 3 band EQ of an amp, but in a pedal. So the concept is simple too.

I am using the Boss GE-7 with my Peavey Valveking 212 and my Kramer Striker. I use it for a Dave Murray solo tone because my neck pickup (hot rails) doesn't match with the bridge (Dimebucker). It does the trick as far as tonal change goes. But when you increase the level (I do this to get more gain on the lead channel), it's noisy as hell. This applies to both clean and lead channels, either in front of the amp (I primarily use it this way) or in the loop. If it weren't for the noise factor, this pedal can get a great variety of sounds for multiple genres. For an example, I like adding a mid boost to my Big Muff Pi to have it cut through a bit more.

It's a Boss pedal, so it will survive any bump you can think of. It will withstand live playing and being dinged up in general. The pipes in the ceiling of my basement recently cracked, and the pedal was soaked. Still works, so it will even survive water damage despite being an electrical appliance. Also, I bought it used, so it survived both my bumps and the bumps of the previous owner. I do not think I would need a backup for this pedal, just like any other Boss pedal. It is an indestructible tank.

This pedal matches with any style. I wish I knew about the amount of noise this pedal produces. Because of this, I may not buy it again, and might be selling it soon for a tube screamer type pedal or an MXR 10-Band EQ to suit my needs for a more controlled gain boost. I picked this over the MXR 6-Band EQ (it lacked a level slider) and Danelectro Fish And Chips (I perceived it was not durable). I ultimately picked it because it did well providing tonal change and balancing my pickup tones, is durable, and was at a cheap price.