GE-7 Equalizer review by Boss

Boss: GE-7 Equalizer

Purchased from: Shake it up Music

Very easy to get a decent sound out of this, regardless of the amp, but I will say that tube amps still sound great when using this pedal. When I had my last GE-7 it made my SS amp sound like complete a-s. Mind you, I probably had no idea back then of how to dial in mids properly on the amp, let-alone the pedal, as I was into all that heavy scooped thrash metal. Now I dial my amp in the best I can, and complement it with the pedal, and it all works really well... Manual? What manual? Nah, didn't read it, why bother? Just F#$K around with it and see what happens, mess with each slider to get the best sound for each one, then just dial 'em all in the best position and you're done :)

I have two guitars - a Cort X-TH with EMGs, and a Gibson Les Paul Studio with Stock pickups (passive Burstbuckers I think). I play both through a Laney Ironheart 60 watt head and matching 2x12 with Eminence speakers which used to be in a 4x12 with 2 more Eminence speakers. My setup sounds good and I have tried for a long time to tweak it as Laney amps are quite bright, even with the tone and treble controls turned down... Some say it's a bit shrill, and I tend to agree.

As soon as I plugged in my GE-7 though... WOW! I have tone! I mainly slide the 100hz and 200hz sliders up a little bit to about +2/3db, leave the 400 and 800 sliders pretty close to flat, maybe half the distance up as the first two, then slide the 1.6khz and 3.2khz sliders up to about +7db (maybe a bit more than that for the 3.2khz one), and finally the 6.4khz one I slide to -4db or so, and that takes out any shrill ice pick tones and make it a really rich hich-midrange tone which matches my tone tastes from bands like Metallica and Killswitch Engage, amongst a few others I appreciate.

My amp sounds so much better now, as I really want to use the amp's distortion and gain instead of my multifx, which is mostly used for silent practice and and direct recording on my PC. It's not noisy at all in the loop on my amp, and that's where I'll keep using it, as it does nothing out front.

Boss has always been solid with their stomp box pedals. Nothing's changed, and that makes me happy. I use power supplies as I don't like the idea of a battery dying halfway through a session, so I take them out and use them on my guitars that have EMGs in them. Finish is great, but I think they made them darker than the older version, which I owned along with a boss metal zone waaaay back in the day, and tried to make the metal zone sound better, when I didn't know how to dial in well either haha...

At the moment it's this pedal and an NS-2 Noisegate, which stops any unwanted buzz whenever you stop ripping the strings. Both are great pedals and I don't feel need to change at the moment as these two are doing a good job. I actually had a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive prior to getting this pedal, in an effort to smooth out the gain a bit, but it wasn't quite there, so I took it back and swapped it, and paid a bit more for, the GE-7. Best decision I've made lately... I'd use it without a backup for sure. Boss is reliable and had never let me down yet. All their products work as intended.

I mostly play metal and progressive rock - Metallica, Killswitch, Tool, Pantera (need to learn more though haha). My amp has been great for this and this pedal has made it better again in getting the tones I want. I've only had it a few days though so there's always room to keep tweaking amp and pedal. Been playing/jamming on and off for around 2 decades casually, but really need and want to practice more, but tone is very important to me, and I am very particular about the sound I want, and when I don't get that sound I don't feel like playing. But jamming with friends helps. If it were lost/stolen, for sure, I'd buy it again, but I'd like to try and MXR 10 band EQ with my amp, even though the MXR 6-band is way noisier than this GE-7.

Best feature is it is pretty much bang on to being what I need to shape my tone and bring the best out in my amp's sound. Worst feature??? Not enough bands...You can never have enough haha... Compared it with an Artec 8 band eq, but that straight up coloured the sound without even moving any of the slider... GE-7 is so transparent compared to the Artec, and, dare I say it - the MXR EQ pedals... Sometimes just wished it had a 12.8k and maybe a 16k band, just to make the top end a bit more tweakable.

Metaldoneeasy
    The GE-7 is the ultimate secret weapon! Works best on tube amps but will make a solid state roar. I use it with an 80's bass crate solid state head for doom and death metal. It's most responsive in the effects loop. Does what it's supposed to do. The pedal is a little noisy. I plan to have it modded along with the amps effects loop to get the most out of it. I mainly use it for heavy lows and pick attack. 100Hz & 1.6K are always maxed giving my amp the most thump with definition. I would boost the level but it's a noise bastard as you know. Need that damn mod asap. 100Hz Boost bass 200Hz Boost low mid 400Hz Boost mid 800Hz Boost mid 1.6k Boost Upper Mid 3.2k Boost Hi Mid 6.4k Boost Treble Level Boost gain