GS-10 Guitar Effects System review by Boss

Boss: GS-10 Guitar Effects System

Purchased from: sweetwater.com

I use a high end pair of headphones for creating my tones as am using this unit in recording and church situations. For live, I go into a DI box and take the out into a small Fender amp for monitoring and then the XLR goes into the house. From my headphones, the amps sound true, all though you really have to tweak the mids to get warm sounds. Although I was not able to hear myself through the mains, my wife said it sounded really good, in fact she liked my tones better than when I was using the GT-8!

Over all the GT-10 is the only unit I will need. It works great in the studio and Live, but then I do not really use an amp live. If you are married to an amp and the tone you get from that amp, then this will probably not be the unit for you. But if you want a huge variety of tones, great flexibility, amp modeling that sounds very close to the originals, then this is the unit for you. The one drawback thus far are the LED lights. They are so bright that I believe that the space shuttle pilots can be guided by them. You can't even read the words above the lights to see what they control when they are on. But other than that, this unit is killer!

Can take a lickin' I am sure! I will be using this in the studio and in a church situation, so no beer soaked stages in my future. However, this is a tough unit with a metal case and strong foot controls. Looks like it could take a beating! It is a bit heavy.

The unit is very easy to use. Unlike the GT-8 which needed a lot of experience with tweaking, the GT-10's wizard makes it very easy to get the tone you want for a variety of musical expressions. Using a Schechter C-1 E/A I was able to come up with a really fun crunch tone, a flanged crunch tone, a mellow chorused tone, an acoustic tone for the Piezo, and a cool Jerry Garcia type clean tone. All of this in about 3 hours. I did a lot of tweaking of the preamps and the effects, very easy to do.

BlueSky6392
    uhm.. i have a couple of questions.. is this thing better that gt 8? and does it work with any amps?
    strangedogs
    I got one from Ebay 2 months ago for $103 - mint with all cords, discs, manuals, etc. I LOVE IT for recording with my Mac. Not even using amp sims anymore as this baby has it all built-in!
    Gibson1983
    "I'm French so excuse me for my English" - that's a brilliant variation on an English saying! Good review too, thanks a lot. Expensive equipment though.