GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor review by Boss

Boss: GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor

Purchased from: 8th Street Music

My set up is a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and two modified Fender Stratocasters, I usually plug into a Fender Pro Reverb amp. They've really stepped up the sound of the effects here only a trained ear could tell the difference between the GT-10 and the stompboxes that they replicate. The Amp and Pickup simulator is even better than before I was able to use my Les Paul Studio in conjunction with it to get a nice Hollow Body guitar sound. A big fan of The Police I was able to get dangerously close to some of Andy Summers' sounds from the Zenyatta Era. They also have some really cool Presets for some of my other favorite bands/artists (SRV, Van Halen, Cream, ) and even bands I don't particularly care for (Green Day and Radiohead). The two control pedals (as opposed ot the 1 on the GT8) allow you to add other sounds (Distortion, Delay, Reverb, corus etc.) to your pre-existing sound. Not to mention the addition of the phrase looping function. My only complaints were the Wah Auto Wah (which tends to get noisy)and 60's Fuzz Sound (I used both quite often with my GT-8) but I was able to use (and adjust) the OCT Fuzz to get the sound I wanted.

I play original music that jumps from new wave, to funk, blues, and soul (I also play guitar for a choir in a black baptist church once or twice a month) so it benefits me to have something like this. I can create a different guitar sound depending on the song and get it just the way I want it without having to turn knobs on stage. The possibilities with this thing are almost endless. With the exception of the three things I mentioned I like this pedal a whole lot and I've only explored about 75% of it's features. I won't be switching to the POD anytime soon. If you're an effects guy or just a guy that likes to play with gear you'll probably like this too.

Boss always makes reliable and durable stuff. Once I get the sounds I want I won't need a backup for it. The unit will get confused everyonce in a while (I had a patch with the phrase loop on I switched to another patch and the phrase loop function was still on).

I have to say that (although I generally never use them) the GT-10 has some of the best preset patches I've heard out of one of these units. The new EZ Tone feature allows you to dive right into creating your own sounds and tones by basing them off of certain generes of music (Blues, Soul/Funk, Jazz, 70's Rock 80's Metal, Modern Metal, Punk etc.) you can literally create a pretty decent tone in about 5 minutes. The general patch editing features are still there in case you wish to tweak your sound further. The Interface will take some getting used to because it's almost too easy and finding the functions for the Wah can be tough.

mind_freak007
    gurg06
    mind_freak007 wrote: Can somebody write about the looper and its specs on the GT 10.... Also heard that it can handle 2 independent signal paths like the POD X3 live! Can a vocal microphone be used with it?If so what are the amp models/tweak parameters available? Anyone???
    It has 40 seconds of loop time and as far as I know it can't be used for vocals. The gt-8 had the two independant signal paths long beefore the pod x3 live so I'm guessing the GT-10 does too
    Shor-T Zero
    I'll try and get a good review up here about this, i just got mine today. Trust me when I say this, the EZ Tone graph thing is not only super easy to figure out, it will pretty much set you up for "your" tone (as in its your own custom one that you've been searching for). And the graph thing is easy to use. I'll have a review up tomorrow hopefully, so stay tuned.