GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor review by Boss

Boss: GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor

I play mostly through a Marshall combo but also got an El-Cheapo rectifier combo. I also use it with headphones for nightly practice, simulating my amp -- it's not the real thing, but gets close enough. By itself it's not noisy, but all the buzz your guitar picks up gets amplified by overdriven settings. Unavoidable, but manageable. I'm very impressed by the quality of the wah. I like it better than my friend's actual wah pedal (can't remember which brand, not an unknown but not Dunlop). OD/DS pedals sound close to actual ones too. Loop recording/overdubbing is mono only, which is a shame, but it's good nevertheless.

I play anywhere from latin rock to Grunge, and from the Beatles to the Pixies, but I like to find my own tone, and I really like what the GT-10 does for me. I've been playing for 5 years now, with an Ibanez AXS32 (SG-like) and a stratoclone, and no matter what gear I play with, I always seem to get my personal tone out of it. It's been easier to get my tone out of the GT-10 than it was to get it from my Marshall MG250DFX alone. I don't use preset patches nor do I create my own ones because I love "manual mode". I feel as if I'd bought 40 stompboxes for the price of 10 or less. After using a DigiTech RP50 for a year... well, what can I say? It feels like you took your guitar and lowered its action by half an inch. To some people the POD X3 Live might sound better. However, the GT-10 matches my idea of multieffect pedals, and delivers the sound I want in the way I want.

If it needs a backup, you might as well gig with the backup. It's a brick, covered in sheet metal. It's heavy, and I'd only be afraid of kicking a knob and breaking it. The rocker pedal is nice and heavy, you have to really step on it to toggle it, and it definitely doesn't feel fragile at all.

This is not your ordinary fx box. You can use preset patches or customize your own, but the killer feature is the "manual mode", in which you turn your GT-10 into up to 8 separate stomp boxes + a wah/pitch bend/volume pedal. If you have many separate stomps, you might find this a good way to enter the world of multieffect pedals. If that's not your thing, well, patch edition is easy: you toggle stages by a button, you may rearrange them and the 4-way nav + dial is not always the most intuitive but rotating the dial is way easier than clicking a push-button a thousand times. Then there's the EZ mode, in which you can pretty much get near the tone you hear in your head without much of a hassle. The manual is informative, but you have to really play with the unit in order to realise all the possibilities.

gabollo
    This monster can do everything man... Mine wakes me up every morning with the smell of breakfast, haha.. It sounds great for metal (and everything else too).
    D&DLover
    I was gonna get an me 50, but it seems like a much better idea to save up more and just get the gt 10 so i don't have to upgrade very soon.
    Eternal_Heart
    freak180
    Eternal_Heart wrote: Does anyone knows if this pedal is better than Zoom G9.2tt? I'm playing most of the time metal.
    the zoom compared to his is a piece of shit i tell you hwat.buy this and you'll sound like a god
    Shuvro
    can we have those realistic COB,Dragonforce, and realtime extreme metal riff tones better in gt 10. compared to the new x3 live by pod?????
    mrrman
    I am curious about the GT 10 to as I was also looking at the Pod X3 live...I am leaning toward the POD....any comments on this...
    LJHarris
    Ive tried both the line 6 x3 live and boss gt-10 first played the gt-10 loved it easy to use and like you said very tweak able the wahs sound great and so does the tone and its built rock solid, looping is very cool and still allows recording to computer, I actually took it back believe it not because I heard the tone in the line 6 x3 was better than the gt-10. I played the line 6 x3 live and tone definitely sounded as good if not better not completely noticeable for my untrained musical ears but the major let down was the effects the wahs sounded a bit crappy and if you push down a little too hard it switches to volume which sucks, besides I really liked the variation in the gt-10 wahs with cry baby, vox seven stringer and a few others. The x3 live was a little more complicated to use and definitely not as tweak able as the gt-10 and when tweaking the gt-10 it is very easy once youve used it, for me the same week I bought it. What I like also with the gt-10 is its large screen, all the dials and buttons make it much easier to use and understand. The GT-10's tone isnt as great and authentic as the X3 but near enough for you to still want over it because of the effects that sound better and offer more tweaking as I said previously. For example.... the wah in x3 live you cant determine the level (volume) you want in the effect which the gt-10 can and how deep you want the wah to "wah". Both gt-10 and x3 live will allow you to find the right kind of tone you want for your genres, Its like comparing fords and holders Hope this helps