GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor review by Boss

Boss: GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor

Price paid: A$ 900

Purchased from: RockShop

I very much like both the tones in both, distortions in the GT-10 sounded very nice and the crunch also did the Line 6 X3 Live tone sounded as good if not better then GT-10, the GT-10's tone isn't as natural and authentic as the X3 but saying that it was not completely noticeable for my untrained musical ears but the major let down was the effects, the wahs sound a bit crappy in the X3 and if you push down a little too hard it switches to volume which sucks, besides I really liked the variation in the GT-10 wahs with cry baby, Vox seven stringer and a few others, the GT-10 in my mind offers more tweaking tonally (the EQ works like magic offers a view graphically what is happening with the tone) with the effects for example... Tweaking the wah in X3 Live you can't determine the level (volume) you want in the effect which the GT-10 can also the GT-10 allows you decide how deep you want the wah to "wah".

I really did like the GT-10, the tones sound very hot! Offers more tweaking as I said previously over the Line 6 X3 Live. Both GT-10 and X3 Live will allow you to find the right kind of tone you want for your genres or the sounds like your favourite bands. I play blues, rock & progressive and it sounds very nice on all. I would get it back in a heartbeat if it were stolen, plug and play into your computer for home recording is a blast, using a usb chord certainly does the trick, the Line 6 X3 is from what I heard also very nice for recording, only problem with these two is there is no recording software that come with them so you will need to buy one online, the effects sound better on GT-10 but the preamps on the Line 6 X3 probably to me sound slightly better, when full blown at a gig the GT-10 really shines it's true colours. Overall the GT-10 comes out on top, everything in the GT-10 is more tweak able, love the wahs, hate the wahs in the X3. I would have to say tonally the X3 and GT-10 are very evenly neck and neck.

It's built rock solid, I could drop it of a two storied building and still feel comfortably that it's going to perform even if I had a gig that same day, but seriously it's built tough with a metal enclosure and yes I could definitely depend on it without a back-up!

I'm going to be concentrating primarily on the GT-10 in this review but I would like to occasionally touch on the line x3 Live there are a lot of people that can't decide which of the two would be better for themselves so I hope my I can clear a few things up, I have played both the GT-10 and Line 6 x3 Live but liked the GT-10 much more. All the rating are based on the GT-10 not the X3 Live! The GT-10 is very easy to get solid tones out of the ez tone it features for those Who do not feel like going through all the individual effects and EQ settings to create a tone they like is very cool, just follow its simple step by step procedure (I know another reviewer has mentioned this so I'm not going to go too deep there), If you have a patch that you very much like but want to tweak it a bit its dead simple, simply hit the buttons/LED'S corresponding with which effect you want to change and from there you can use the parameter knobs to play around with what settings to change, if an effect you have you want to turn off no need to go into the system to do so, simply hit the button/LED twice and this turns it off, the first time you hit the button it allows you to tweak it the second time switches it off. The manual has 50 pages to it and I seriously thought it would take months to figure it out but I have had my GT-10 for roughly a week now and finding patches and tweaking tones is very easy to do now, for the GT-10 it has a very shallow learning curve. What I like also with the GT-10 is its large screen, all the dials and buttons make it much easier to use and understand.

Sorrows
    Eyeball-Tickler wrote: If this is so great, how come the users rating is in the mid 7's. Was thinkin bout gettin this but now not so sure?
    Well honestly i have been following this products rating, and on multiple websites it has been rated 9.5 to 10. I have a suggestion after playing for 7 year. The thing is YOU need to try it out and see if it is right for YOU. I just got the GT-10, and its sounding pretty epic on my ESP F400
    abhiwltya
    @ sorrows i totally agree with you...i just bought this thing yesterday and it has impressed me in one day...this thing rocks whether its the tones amp models or the ez tone....am glad i made the right decision!